- 01-Aug-2022 to Until Filled (PST)
- Theater Operations
- San Rafael, CA, USA
2022 Mill Valley Film Festival
Location: San Rafael, CA (15 minutes North of the Golden Gate Bridge)
Dates: 10/03 - 10/17, This includes mandatory training and wrap
Benefits: Housing included for contract dates, transportation to and from SFO airport (if
flying), mileage reimbursement during festival dates if carpooling, at least 1
meal per day during festival dates, MVFF45 customized swag, access to festival
lounges, screening vouchers
COVID-19 has resulted in significant business and financial disruption. The duration of this agreement is contingent on the continued availability of funding and in-person operations.
About Mill Valley Film Festival:
Founded in 1978, the Mill Valley Film Festival is a world-renowned 11-day event held every October, screening over 200 innovative US and international films for over 60,000 attendees. MVFF has a stellar reputation as a filmmakers' festival with a high-profile, prestigious, non-competitive environment celebrating the best in independent and world cinema in gorgeous Northern California.
About the Job:
Line Managers are the first face a staff person or guest of the festival encounters when they arrive on site. This person has a strong grasp of all MVFF procedures and has a calm, customer-oriented demeanor. Patrons will look to this person for regular updates about entrance into the venue and show updates, thus the ability to communicate clearly, confidently, and personably to large crowds is essential.
Covid Specific Operations: All Theater Operations staff will be responsible for verifying and implementing attendee eligibility requirements for admission, if applicable. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Applying mask mandate policies
- Verifying eligibility requirements: proof of vaccination and/or valid negative COVID test within specified time required
- Applying social distancing policies, inside and outside of venue
Line Managers work with the onsite TOPs and Box Office staff to ensure safe, orderly, and friendly theater operations and timely screening starts. Reports to the Venue Manager and Operations Manager and works within the Operations Department.
Proof of full vaccination is required for employment for the 45th Mill Valley Film Festival. You must be prepared to show proof at time of application. Proof of a (or multiple) negative Covid test may be required for employment.
- As a Line Manager, you work directly with the public, (and other MVFF staff), filmmakers, and sponsors
- Prepare the venue at the start of day, staging stanchions, line signs, etc.
- Check in with the Venue Manager to get radio, review tech sheets, dailies, and show flows. Consult Box Office regarding tickets sales and shows on RUSH, to prepare for the day ahead
- Check in with the Venue Manager for any updates or changes that have occurred
- Check the schedule for the day comparing start and end times and preparing for tight turns around
- Communicate with the House Manager before opening doors to the public
- Maintain smooth and efficient patron traffic flow while coordinating show entries and egresses with other managers via radio
- Ensure all related ADA access laws are met with sidewalks and other related spaces at venues
- Assist with hot/cold weather protective measures, if needed
- Communicate any accidents or patron issues, if any, to Venue Manager and provide written incident reports
- Manage and monitor reserved parking spaces in front of theaters as needed
- Line Managers are to ensure every patron is at the right film, at the right place, at the right time, with the right ticket or badge
- Manage RUSH lines as it pertains to ticket sales and seating
- Remind people in the RUSH line the location of the remaining seats and there is a NO REFUNDS policy
- Communicate film screenings updates and changes to staff and public as needed
- End of Day procedures and venue clean up
- Other Duties as assigned
Our ideal candidate has:
- Superb organizational and communication skills
- Detailed, disciplined, and thorough. You have a professional demeanor and a great attitude
- Grace under pressure; can do attitude
- Strong managerial and leadership skills
- Proven skill with driving deadlines
- Excellent customer service, and public interaction skills
- Ability to manage time effectively and bring projects to completion despite conflicting deadlines
- Calm under pressure, managing multiple tasks with competing deadlines.
- Thrives working independently and on a team.
- Must own a smart-phone
- Must have open availability though duration of contract and must be prepared for long hours and late nights.
To apply, please submit:
- Your resume including two references
- Review and acknowledgement of our Code of Conduct:
We appreciate, respect, and honor the vibrant diversity and viewpoints of our world community of guests and staff and hold steadfast in a commitment to freedom of creative expression. We encourage the open exchange of ideas and perspectives in a mutually respectful environment that provides guests and staff with a safe and enjoyable experience while attending our film festivals, theaters, and events.
We ask that everyone-artists, audiences, volunteers, press, industry, staff, board members, and beyond-maintain an environment that is welcoming to all by being:
- Inclusive and respectful of people of every race, ethnicity, gender identity/expression, disability, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, age, physical appearance and body size, language spoken, and immigration or economic status
- Intentional with your words and abstaining from hate speech of any kind and abusive or offensive language or images, including the abuse of chat or similar electronic communications
- Mindful of the personal space and boundaries of others by avoiding unwelcome, unlawful attention, including sexual harassment and harassment of any kind, stalking, and inappropriate physical contact of any kind
- Respectful of moderators, artists, and audience members by refraining from disruption of screenings, sessions, talks, or other events
- Considerate of the health and safety of others by complying with all COVID-19 requirements and all other health and safety protocols
The Code of Conduct covers all events and venues including, but not limited to, the DocLands Documentary Film Festival, Mill Valley Film Festival, CFI Education programs, the Smith Rafael Film Center, special screenings, our physical and virtual offices, and in all CAFilm digital spaces.
California Film Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our policies prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.