- 10-Oct-2022 to Until Filled (EST)
- Public Safety - 776
- Boston, MA, USA
- Casual, Part-Time
Public Safety Officer
Museum of Science, Boston
Responsible for maintaining a safe and secure environment by being alert to potential threats through patrols and electronic surveillance, responding to emergency incidents, disturbances, and requests for assistance in accordance with the Crisis Management Plan and department policies and procedures. Responsible for maintaining smooth operation of garage entry and exit process, providing excellent customer service with garage operational issues and taking immediate and effective action to minimize service disruptions to staff, interns, volunteers, contractors, or guests.
- 1.5 million visitors each year
- 1.2 million square feet of property
- 975 car garage capacity on 5 floors
- 100+ lost children per year
- 300+ medical incidents per year
- 200+ incidents including but not limited to: theft, vandalism, criminal behavior
- 24 x7 operation which requires working on weekends, holidays & emergency closings
- Daily customer contact
- 24-30 school buses per day
- Monitoring over 100 alarm points
- Monitoring over 100 surveillance cameras
This position is eligible to sign up for available shifts.
Director, Public Safety
- One (1) or more years of security/customer service experience
- Post HS course work, technical degree, associate's degree or business certificate preferred
- Ability to remain calm in emergency situations
- Ability to remain alert
- Demonstrated effective decision making using sound judgement
- Ability to comprehensively operate Windows based computer systems and electronic equipment
- Written and verbal communication skills and thorough comprehension of the English language
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Ability remain standing for long periods of time
Non-Exempt (Hourly). $18.00/hour
Free parking in the Museum garage, T accessibility, free Exhibit Halls admission and Omni/Planetarium shows, free Duck Tours, discounts in the Museum store and cafe, discounted movie passes, retirement & savings plan.!
Staff, interns, and volunteers will be required to show proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. The Museum will consider an exemption from the vaccine requirement if they are unable to get vaccinated due to a qualifying medical disability or a sincerely held religious objection. The Museum is not required to provide an accommodation or exemption from the vaccine requirement if doing so would pose a direct threat to others in the workplace or would create an undue hardship for the Museum.
The Museum of Science is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.
No phone inquiries, please. Qualified applicants will be contacted within two to four weeks of initial application.