- Brookings, SD, USA
- Pay is based on experience and education.
- Full Time
Medgene Labs offers a comprehensive compensation package that includes competitive pay, medical plan options, dental, vision, PTO and Holiday pay, STD and LTD, 401k retirement plan participation and more.
Medgene Labs seeks a full-time Molecular Biologist, Scientist, Level IV-V. Medgene Labs helps veterinarians and producers protect livestock with precisely constructed immunological products and services. Applying a strategy of continual diagnostic surveillance and data analytics to the practice of immunology, creating vaccines for the disease-at-hand quicker and more precisely than previously possible. Medgene Labs has a single mission: To be a world-class Immunological Services Provider for leading livestock producers and their veterinarians.
Medgene Labs is seeking a Molecular Biologist to join our growing team and help fully develop our construct bank for viral and bacterial expressed proteins. The candidate will serve as technical support, providing molecular engineering experience. Primary focus will be to perform daily laboratory assays, maintenance, and optimization of procedures.
The Molecular Biologist is responsible for support within the Construct Team. Must have a strong background in molecular and immunological assays, protein production and optimization, and bioinformatics. Coordination and cooperation with Construct Team, Immunological Services, Production, and Quality Assurance departments are essential. The position requires independent judgement and interpretation under the direct supervisor.
Candidates should have a minimum of a Bachelor of Science, with a Master of Science preferred, in Microbiology/Chemistry/Animal Science or related field. Experience preferred, but not required.
- Perform molecular cloning efforts by applying molecular biology techniques.
- Characterization of vaccine candidates by performing molecular biology techniques.
- Operate and maintain laboratory and experimental equipment.
- Work collaboratively with other team members to accomplish project goals and milestones.
- Track and document results with Official Documents and Laboratory Notebooks.
- Creating the conditions for increasing productivity by analyzing and improving existing processes.
- Monitoring Compliance with aseptic procedures and cleaning schedules as well as occupational health and safety regulations.
- Ensuring a culture of safety for all employees at VST/Medgene.
- Performs other work as assigned.
Typically reports to the Chief Scientific Officer or Molecular Biologist Lead, and may provide work direction to Associates, Technicians, and/or students or other staff assigned to the laboratory.
Challenges and Problems:
Challenges include performing within established timelines, maintaining accuracy, and consistency due to variance in constructs. Keeping of detailed records will be an absolute necessity, subject to Audit by the Regulatory and Compliance Officer and Operations Manager.
Problems include potential weekend and off-hours work.
Decisions include development of specific assays, interpretation of data and communication to appropriate department; what supplies to order; safety and accuracy of equipment; the identity of reference reagents and tests; sources of testing problems; when to contact supervisors for assistance; whether to call service for a piece of equipment; informing management of status of vaccine serials.
Contact with Others:
Daily contact with junior technicians, additional staff of VST/Medgene.
Potential for exposure to human and animal pathogens, including blood-borne pathogens. Exposure to infectious agents, dangerous chemicals, high-voltage equipment, toxic fumes, high-pressure steam, temperature extremes, and potential mutagens.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- The methods and techniques of bacterial, viral, mammalian and insect cell culture.
- Baculovirus expression vectors and protein production
- Molecular techniques including transfections, cloning, DNA/RNA extraction and PCR, restriction enzyme digestion
- Common biochemical and immunological techniques, including SDS-PAGE, UV/Vis spectroscopy, ELISA and western blotting.
- Laboratory quality controls procedures and appropriate statistical methods.
- Perform various cell culture growth methods, tests, and analyses.
- Follow specific procedures
- Work safely with infectious materials and specimens
- Operate scientific equipment and computers
- Write detailed SOPs and protocols
- Identify reference materials
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Perform various tests, adapt techniques as required, and perform complex computations.
- Prepare scientifically accurate and thorough reports.
Medgene Core Competencies
- Accountability and level of Impact
- Plans and leads completion of project work with team
- Works autonomously; manages resources; consults with and updates supervisor
- Technical/Functional Expertise & Application
- Applies broad knowledge and specialized training in complex scientific principles and techniques
- Modifies existing processes, procedures and technologies, or develops new ones, as needed
- May provide training, or technical consultation to others
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Applies methodology and creativity to resolve complex problems to individual accountabilities and project teamwork.
- Communication, Collaboration, and People Influence
- Proactively collaborates and shares information/ better practices within and across Medgene teams, units and departments to influence at the site level.
- Produces internal written communications; provides input to publications for external use; facilitates team meetings; presents in project teams.