- Brookings, SD, USA
- Pay is based on experience and education.
- Full Time
Medgene Labs offers a comprehensive compensation package that includes competitive pay, medical plan options, dental, vision, PTO and Holiday pay, STD and LTD, 401k retirement plan participation and more.
Medgene Labs seeks a full-time Research Scientist at Level III or Level IV depending on experience. The successful candidate will report to the Research and Development (R&D) Manager. The individual will be responsible for providing daily operational needs in support of R&D projects. The ideal candidate will show capacity to perform detail-oriented work and successfully integrate with a strong R&D team.
Performs basic laboratory maintenance, research and testing with the primary job function of assisting other laboratory staff in compiling data and accomplishing goals.
Performs laboratory research and development tasks along with clinical testing, in both individual and team settings, to support project progress and timelines.
The Research Scientist III or IV should be capable of executing established procedures and protocols independently with minimal supervision, relying on instructions. Additionally, they should have knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures within microbiology to develop new procedures and protocols with guidance and assistance.
Candidates should have a minimum of an Associate of Science, with a Bachelor of Science preferred, in Microbiology/Biotechnology/Animal Science or related field. Experience preferred.
- Perform laboratory experiments and clinical testing with minimal supervision according to written method. Assists in the design and execution of experiments with supervision.
- Must be able to follow detailed instructions, scientific protocols, and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Analyze and provide results to manager in order to support data compiling for due diligence.
- Keep laboratory documents and logs as needed.
- Maintain quality control checks and a safe environment in compliance will all governmental and laboratory policies, rules, regulations and codes.
- Assist in laboratory maintenance, including cleaning glassware, autoclaving, waste disposal and equipment maintenance/monitoring as necessary.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Reports to R&D Manager; no supervisory relationship.
Challenges and Problems:
Challenges include maintaining accuracy, consistency, and compliance of requirements to ensure the integrity and documentation of processes/tasks performed on a daily basis.
Problems include potential equipment failure and supply availability. Troubleshoot and work around issues that may arise.
Makes routine decisions and solves routine problems associated with tasks. Takes initiative to inform other personnel of more complex problems to determine the best course of action.
Contact with Others:
Daily contact with laboratory staff from R&D team. Irregular contact with Production and Quality Control. Communicate respectfully and effectively with supervisor and coworkers.
Potential for exposure to blood borne pathogens, body fluids, infectious agents, dangerous chemicals, high voltage equipment, toxic fumes, high-pressure steam, and temperature extremes.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Clinical laboratory methods and techniques involving both live and inactivated cultures
- Cell culture methods including cryopreservation
- Viral propagation techniques and identification
- Bacterial propagation techniques and identification
- Microsoft Word and Excel computer skills
- Perform various cell culture growth methods, tests, and analyses
- Follow detailed directions and instructions
- Work safely with dangerous and contagious materials and specimens
- Operate scientific equipment and computers
- Perform mathematical computations
- Interpret subject matter
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Perform various tests and adapt techniques as required
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date laboratory notebook records
- Communicate information clearly and concisely
Medgene Core Competencies
Accountability and Level of Impact
- Completes routine and non-routine tasks; impacts group/project team
- Requires limited supervision
Technical/Functional Expertise & Application
- Applies general knowledge of scientific/technical principles and techniques
- Follows existing processes and procedures, and recommends modifications
- May provide limited training to others
- Understands customer needs/expectation with limited guidance
Problem Solving and Innovation
- Makes routine decisions/solves routine problems associated with tasks, and/or project team work
Communication, Collaboration, and People Influence
- Collaborates with Medgene associates, and/or project team
- Actively listens
- Takes initiative to inform others
- Respects diverse ideas and perspectives
- Documents own work and may present to local team