Reports to: President & CEO
We are looking for an experienced attorney with proven analytical ability to serve in the role of General Counsel, leading our efforts to optimize our organizational efficiency regarding legal matters and participate in ongoing analysis of state and federal health regulatory and policy issues affecting health centers.
The General Counsel will examine and draft consultant, employment, real estate, group purchasing, vendor and provider loan repayment contracts, as well as draft and review legislation and regulations. In addition, the General Counsel will facilitate and propose any changes to corporation filings and organizational bylaws, and participate in HR matters that require legal analysis, drafting and adverse employment actions. The hire will ensure compliance with all local, state and federal laws, negotiate mergers and acquisitions (M&A), and oversee compliance with corporate governance, and establish the prudence of defending lawsuits and prosecuting. The attorney serving in this role will be supporting the parent company and two affiliates.
To ensure success you need to have sound knowledge and understanding of applicable laws and regulations, and the ability to make prudent legal decisions. Top candidates will be team players with outstanding advocacy and people skills.
General Counsel Responsibilities:
- Advising executive, senior management and board on matters such as legal rights, and new and existing laws
- Managing organization's legal matters
- Examining and creating draft agreements, such as employment and vendor agreements
- Maintaining knowledge of organization's operations and legal documents
- Conducting legal research and reviewing company's litigation strategy pertaining to legal actions
- Promulgating and creating directives of corporate acts and decisions
- Preserving all corporate records
- Handling statutory filings, such as licensing forms
- Conduct legal research and prepare memoranda, correspondence and legal documents
- Liaising with outside counsel regarding their assignments
- Creating new entities and managing organization's intellectual property
- Represent organization before federal and state administrative agencies
- Juris Doctor degree from accredited law school
- Admitted to the Massachusetts BAR
- 4+ years practice within a law firm; healthcare law and/or healthcare experience a plus
- Proficient legal experience negotiating contracts and business transactions, and managing relationships with other attorneys
- Commitment to Racial Justice, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Experience with corporate governance issues and corporate secretarial duties
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of statutes, rules and regulations pertaining to businesses
- Proficient understanding of business sensitivities and confidentiality
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts or requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Based on the precautions taken by the League to protect the health and safety of our staff during a public health crisis, most of our employees are working remotely, and work related travel has been significantly curtailed. As a result, new hires will be onboarded remotely, have minimal face-to-face interaction. However, occasionally the General Counsel will be expected to occasionally participate in meetings, court proceedings or other activities in person, exercising the appropriate risk mitigation strategies (masks and social distancing).
Established in 1972, the Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers ("League") is a non-profit, statewide association representing and serving the needs of the state's 51 community health center organizations, which provide primary and preventive care to some one million state residents through more than 300 sites across the Commonwealth. The League provides a wide range of technical assistance to its members and their communities, including:
- Analysis of state and federal health regulatory and policy issues affecting health centers.
- Workforce Development initiatives to recruit, retain, and develop a well-trained cadre of primary care providers, and for increasing educational and economic opportunities in communities served by health centers.
- Information Technology Development primarily focused on helping health centers expand their capacity for using data to improve efficiency and advance patient health.
- Management of and support for Clinical Quality Initiatives to improve and better integrate patient care.
- Training and Education for health center administrators, clinicians, and board members.
- Support to Expand Health Access through work with state leaders and local health and advocacy organizations seeking to open health centers in their communities.
- Information Dissemination about community-based health care to policymakers, opinion leaders, and the media.
The Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers is an equal opportunity employer committed to a workplace that reflects the diversity of the people of Massachusetts, including populations most impacted by health inequities. We actively seek a diverse staff that is reflective of the community we serve.
It is the policy of the Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, parental status, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service or any other non-merit based factor in accordance with all applicable laws, directives and regulations of federal, state and city entities.
Salary range: $ 100,000 - $150,000
To Apply: Please use link below; Include your resume and cover letter. Candidates are also asked to supply two writing samples.