- Carrollton, KY, USA
- Full Time
LCNI offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and paid time off benefits.
The News-Democrat, The News-Herald and The Trimble Banner
Carrollton, Owenton and Bedford, Kentucky
The News-Democrat, The News-Herald and The Trimble Banner, Landmark Community Newspapers, LLC, properties, are seeking qualified candidates for the full-time position of regional reporter that the three newspapers will share. The News-Democrat is a community newspaper covering Carroll County, Ky., just off Interstate 71 halfway between Louisville, Ky. and Cincinnati, Ohio. Owen County adjoins to the east and includes the county seat of Owenton, Trimble County adjoins Carroll to the west and includes the cities of Bedford and Milton. Both communities are rural and on the banks of the Ohio River. Carroll County has a strong industrial base and an active tourism industry. The company offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and paid time off benefits. The newspapers can be found at www.mycarrollnews.com, www.owentonnewsherald.com and www.mytrimblenews.com.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field, or equivalent experience in the journalism profession preferred
- Strong vocabulary, spelling and grammar skills, and writing skills
- Knowledge of digital photography, downloading photos, using Photoshop, Microsoft Word and InDesign helpful
- Strong organizational and time management skills with ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Must be dependable, self-motivated, and able to work under pressure
- Knowledge and interest in the Internet and new media
- Proven team-oriented behavior with the desire and ability to assist other teammates and work processes where necessary to accomplish the goals of the newspaper
- Ability to work some nights and weekends to cover assignments
- Must have a reliable transportation and a valid driver's license
- Cover government meetings, possibly including, but not limited to, school board, fiscal court, city council, planning commission and others in the two counties
- Other assignments will include breaking news, feature stories, general news, gathering police news items and public records, such as lawsuits, etc.
- Cover high school sports and other feature articles on sports in the community
- Come up with story ideas relevant to the community and stay informed of issues on assigned beats
- Various photography assignments
- Design pages using InDesign
- Contribute to special sections as assigned/needed
- Meet deadlines
- Serve as a positive liaison with the public
- Assist/share in various office duties as directed
This is a 40-hour per week position. There will be some night and weekend assignments. This person reports to the Editor.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER