Kids in Distress (KID) of Fort Lauderdale, FL is looking to hire a part-time Counselor for our Aftercare and Summer Camp program. This position is responsible for the daily direct care and supervision of children kindergarten - 5th grade. This includes providing and overseeing individualized accommodations for children with academic deficiencies. As a Counselor, you must establish and maintain a structured learning environment that is safe, nurturing, and enriching. Additionally:
- Plan and implement projects
- Assists the children with their homework
- Transports children as needed
- Must be able to run, jump, and otherwise engage the children in strenuous activities that are age appropriate for them
- Maintain positive communication with parents, children, and other staff members
- Must be able to sit, bend, crouch, kneel, or otherwise get down to a non-threatening position, often on the floor, to maximize opportunities to teach, play, and nurture the children.
- Must be able to lift, hold, and carry children up to the age of 11, weighing up to 100 lbs.
This is a year-round position.
- Must be at least 18 years old and possess a High School diploma or GED.
- Must have completed the 45 hours of DCF Child Care Licensing training (Part 1 & 2) and must have passed the exams.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience working with children from diverse populations.
- Experience in aftercare, summer camp, or day care preferred.
- CPR and First Aid Certificate or must obtain certification upon hire.
- Must be willing to work part-time (20 hours per week) during school year and summer camp, see hours below:
- Monday-Friday: 2 P.M. - 6 P.M. on school days/school year and summer
"Please submit a copy of your DCF 40-45 hours Childcare Transcript Training with your resume as one attachment"
Kids in Distress is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, a Drug Free Workplace and requires drug testing.