- 19-Mar-2021 to 18-Apr-2021 (EST)
- Tallahassee, FL, USA
- Full Time
The Institute for Intergovernmental Research (IIR) is a Florida-based, nonprofit corporation specializing in criminal justice (law enforcement focus) and homeland security issues. In addition to several other national justice programs and projects, IIR's Criminal Justice Initiatives (CJI) team proudly supports the U.S. Department of Justice's (DOJ) National Public Safety Partnership (PSP). PSP provides an innovative framework for DOJ to enhance its support of state, tribal, and local law enforcement officers and prosecutors in the investigation, prosecution, and deterrence of violent crime, especially crime related to gun violence, gangs, and drug trafficking. This approach serves as a platform for DOJ to directly engage with cities to identify and prioritize resources that will help local communities address their violent crime crises. For more information, visit https://www.nationalpublicsafetypartnership.org.
Senior Research Associate/Criminal Justice Initiatives
FLSA Status: Exempt
The senior research associate for Criminal Justice Initiatives (CJI) possesses extensive knowledge and experience in developing and delivering classroom and Web-based or online training programs and technical assistance and may provide on-site facilitation. This position also provides primary support to all areas of program engagement and requires significant knowledge and experience in project subject matter.
- Conduct advanced research, issue identification, analysis, and resolution and may provide briefing on results
- Serve as lead coordinator for program engagements
- Develop, coordinate, and review documents and outreach products
- Coordinate and facilitate on-site technical assistance and training events
- Facilitate group discussions and conduct training and informational presentations
- Work with key stakeholders, including government agencies, to plan and coordinate criminal justice services to the field
- Communicate with agency executives and senior officials
- Develop project plans and serve as lead to oversee task teams or short- and long-term specialized projects
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor's degree in related field required (professional law enforcement training and/or certifications may substitute for a bachelor's degree)
- Master's degree or doctoral degree in criminal justice or related field preferred
- Minimum eight years of directly related experience or a combination of education and professional experience
- Recent law enforcement experience at a command level preferred
- Knowledge of the criminal and juvenile justice systems, law enforcement background, and/or experience in law enforcement preferred
- Ability to analyze complex issues from various stakeholder perspectives at both the macro and micro levels and develop strategies to ensure successful outcomes
- Strong interpersonal skills and business acumen to interact with many different departments and decision makers within and outside the organization
- Strong analytical and customer support skills
- Strong facilitation and interpersonal skills
- Strong personal and professional values
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and tasks
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently and in a team-oriented environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Most work is performed in a highly productive and fast-paced office or virtual office environment. Significant travel will be required to support CJI field initiatives.
Candidates who have accepted an offer will be required to submit to a background investigation, including criminal history, credit history, employment history, educational history, and personal and professional references.
This job description is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by managers, as appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and IIR reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as appropriate.