The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) is an independent not-for-profit organization based in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. For 30 years, IHI has used improvement science to advance and sustain better outcomes in health and health systems across the world. IHI brings awareness of safety and quality to millions, catalyzes learning and the systematic improvement of care, develops solutions to previously intractable challenges, and mobilizes health systems, communities, regions, and nations to reduce harm and deaths. IHI collaborates with a growing community to spark bold, inventive ways to improve the health of individuals and populations. IHI generates optimism, harvests fresh ideas, and supports anyone, anywhere who wants to profoundly change health and health care for the better. Learn more at ihi.org.
The Senior Director of Business Applications (SDBA) serves as a pathfinder and technical expert to IHI and our IT team. The SDBA oversees IHI's enterprise architectural planning and analysis and works closely with the VP of IT and other senior IT staff members to design, plan and implement IT projects and policies to achieve desired business results.
The SDBA will stay abreast of top industry trends and changing technologies to effectively administer IHI's business applications (including implementation, configuration, user adoption, maintenance, security and operational support). These applications include Customer Relationship Management/Association Management (CRM/AMS), Learning Management System (LMS), Online Community Platform, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Knowledge Management (KM) and other internally or externally-facing applications.
The SDBA will provide strong situational leadership and support to the IT team (IT project manager and busines/technical analysts), and will leverage the team's capacity and expertise to ensure IHI achieves maximum impact and value from its IT investments.
- Work with senior IT staff to develop and implement an overarching Enterprise Architecture based on an understanding of business needs, processes and risk posture
- Create an IT environment that furthers IHI's mission and goals by leveraging existing resources, commercially and internally developed software solutions, data structures and current infrastructure
- Work closely with business teams to understand their objectives and processes, and provide guidance on leveraging applications to maximize impact, effectiveness and efficiency
- Drive the Project Proposal Intake process by working closely with key stakeholders to develop project proposals and identify viable options for recognizing opportunities and meeting business needs
- Work closely with senior leadership, the IT team and other stakeholders to implement, configure, integrate, design, build and deploy applications
- Maintain accurate program estimates, timelines, project plans and status reports
- Manage and escalate delivery impediments, risks and changes associated with product development initiatives
- Keep IHI's applications updated to current versions and platforms, act as an advocate for security and performance, and monitor compliance with standards (specific applications include iMIS, TopClass LMS, Higher Logic, Salesforce and Adaptive Planning, along with internal extensions, integrations, and customizations)
- Coordinate testing, release/upgrade implementation, databases, system administration, training and user adoption
- Ensure appropriate confidentiality, data integrity, availability, authentication and access control methods are in place
- Drive improved decision-making and speed-to-insight; lead efforts to enhance Business Intelligence capabilities and ensure trust in data through solid data governance and by facilitating data-driven decision making among end-users
- Build synergy and focus for the IT team across applications, databases, hosting, security, infrastructure and server maintenance
- Work within IT, cross-functionally and with vendors to successfully identify, prioritize and resolve issues; ensure issues and tickets are effectvely tracked, managed, documented and maintained
- Identify process improvement opportunities for IT; develop operational standards and processes and proactively mitigate problems
- Manage other projects and tasks as needed and assigned
- Experience leading, developing and coaching high-performance teams
- Excellent working knowledge of enterprise-class CRM/AMS, ERP, and Content/Knowledge Management and Collaboration solutions
- Excellent working knowledge of Cloud-based architectures (SaaS, IaaS, PaaS) and key products
- High-level understanding of business and web application programming, content management systems, API, databases and system design
- Experience in a management role with DevOps type approaches maintaining applications, servers and IT infrastructure within a high-availability, privacy and security conscious environment
- Extensive project management, estimation and planning experience
- Strong time and resource management skills
- Experience establishing and maintaining a high level of trust and confidence within IT and with all staff
- Ability to understand and distill internal and external customer needs
- Ability to analyze and rapidly assimilate evolving technologies, and apply them as potential solutions to business opportunities and needs
- Demonstrated expertise in database and business intelligence technologies; familiarity with data warehouse, analytics, machine learning and data mining techniques
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills; ability to create original concepts/theories
- A passion for providing outstanding User Experiences for internal and external customers
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience; master's degree desirable
- Expert technical understanding of the intersection of application implementation/development and operations (DevOps), monitoring and management tools, and deployment processes and tools
- 6 years' experience managing a team of IT professionals (project managers, architects, analysts, developers, designers, QA/testers and administrators)
- Ability to drive big picture goals and milestones with keen attention to detail
- Experience with strategic planning and risk/change/project management
- Strong analytical thinking, conflict resolution and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication, time management and organizational skills
- Strong cross-functional collaboration and relationship-building skills; ability to interact effectively with a diverse group of developers, product owners, and subject matter experts
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and accountability for delivering high quality work aligned with organizational mission and strategy, both personally and at a team level.
- Commitment to equity, anti-racism, and the improvement of societal systems
At IHI, we are inspired to do our best work and be our best selves by leaning into our values and uniting in our vision to create a future in which everyone has the best care and health possible. We ensure that people feel empowered and supported in meaningful ways, including our total rewards package that features competitive compensation, medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability plans, FSA plans, matching 401k contributions, tuition reimbursement, generous professional development allowance and ongoing learning opportunities, respect for personal commitments and flexibility to manage them, 3 weeks of annual vacation to start plus a paid week off between Christmas and New Year's Day, 15 days of annual sick time, and other special perks to support employee wellbeing.
IHI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, political beliefs, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation to complete our application, please let us know.