CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 9009
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Facilities Supervisor
Idyllwild Arts is looking for a Groundskeeper to start immediately. This is a unique opportunity to join a boarding school community that focuses on pre-professional training for artists while at the same time emphasizing the importance of academics and interdisciplinary approaches to arts education. Idyllwild is a small town located at 5,000 feet on the western slopes of California's San Jacinto Mountains. Even though it seems far from the hustle and bustle of city life, the town and campus frequently host music festivals, prominent speakers and artists, and community events. Also, it is only two hours by car to Los Angeles and San Diego.
The Groundskeeper performs semi-skilled work in the maintenance, care, and modification of campus grounds and landscapes which includes the operation of electrically powered and gasoline-powered groundskeeping equipment and machines, and the use of small hand and power tools or equipment in planting, cultivating, and trimming grounds and landscaping. The Groundskeeper also performs maintenance on groundskeeping equipment and tools and makes minor repairs (within demonstrated capability) as directed.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Experience: One to two years of experience in groundskeeping is preferred, where knowledge of the methods, materials and equipment used in cultivating, trimming and abatement in a coniferous/oak forested region with a variety of types of trees, shrubs, ground cover, has been gained. Knowledge of the use and proper disposal of chemicals used in groundskeeping (pest control, GSOB, Bark Beetle management in pine forests) is preferred.
Skills: The ability to read the English language sufficiently to understand written work orders and instructions as well as directions for the proper mixture, use, and disposal/storage of cleaners, solvents, chemicals, and similar products used in groundskeeping is required. Skill in the proper operation and maintenance of grounds maintenance tools, equipment, and machinery is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. The ability to identify and eradicate disease or insect damage is preferred.
Effort: Requires the ability to lift and carry groundskeeping supplies and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis and up to 100 pounds on an occasional basis, prolonged walking or standing, and frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, and reaching on a daily basis. Requires a full range of physical motion in order to operate manual, electrically powered and/or gasoline-powered groundskeeping equipment and machines. Requires the ability to access facilities and areas which may only be accessible by climbing stairs or by climbing ladders to a height of 15 feet (e.g., for tree trimming). Must be able to move throughout assigned areas, as the work is performed primarily outdoors, year-round. Employees in this job classification (job title) are designated as essential employees and must report to work as scheduled when campus offices are closed due to severe weather.
License: Must have a valid California Driver's License.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs tasks common to the care of grounds and landscapes by seeding, watering, mulching, fertilizing, and applying chemicals to outside plantings, lawns and turf, as well as inside flowers and cuttings used in transplanting; inspecting plant materials for insects, disease, physical and mechanical damage and identifying replacements; transplanting, pruning, trimming, and cultivating trees, shrubs, ground cover, and storing and caring for bulbs and cuttings in the winter season
- Performs regular and directed grounds and landscape maintenance by mowing lawns with riding or push mowers; abatement trimming and clearing around trees, shrubs, ground cover, sidewalks and buildings; by hand or utilizing proper tools and equipment; and setting up, adjusting, repairing, and cleaning irrigation systems.
- May be required to perform campus-wide general maintenance and repairs by installing, removing, repairing and maintaining landscape lighting, signs, gates, bicycle racks, posts, fences, and rock walls, repairing streets; and assistance with campus generators during outages.
- Removes unsightly trash and debris from public areas by regularly inspecting grounds, drains, rain gutters, etc., for debris; raking, sweeping and bagging leaves, debris, dirt and trash from streets, parking lots, walking paths and transporting the trash to designated central collection points on a daily basis.
- Assists in preventing accidents resulting from snow or ice-covered walkways by operating snow blowers, tractors or vehicle plows and using shovels to remove snow and spread snow melt on ice-covered surfaces.
- Applies chemicals used in groundskeeping properly and safely by wearing prescribed protective clothing, masks, and/or rubber gloves and boots, following either written or verbal directions for mixing chemical compounds according to specifications, applying the chemicals properly on grounds and landscapes designated for their use, and disposing of residual chemical products as directed or storing and labeling them for future use.
- Safely operates light vehicles such as pick-up trucks, tractors, or riding mowers and portable power tools and equipment such as saws, grass trimmers, snow/leaf blowers, sprayers, paint machines and other groundskeeping equipment by obeying applicable traffic laws and following operator instructions, and wearing appropriate safety items such as goggles, gloves, or other appropriate protective clothing.
- Ensures that grounds maintenance equipment is operational by performing routine and preventative maintenance and cleaning of tools, equipment and machines within reasonable capabilities.
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Grounds Department by performing all other related duties as assigned.
The Groundskeeper is supervised by the Facilities Supervisor and generally does not exercise supervision of others, however may be required to supervise temporary employees.