CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 9006
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Custodial Supervisor I and II
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Director of Business Operations
The job of Custodial Tech is done for the purpose/s of maintaining an attractive, sanitary and safe facility for students, staff and public; providing equipment and furniture arrangements for meetings, classroom activities and events; and minimizing property damage, loss and liability exposure. The Custodial Tech performs semi-skilled custodial services for the campus facilities following established procedures and guidelines in the maintenance of buildings, classrooms, offices, lavatories and restrooms, and associated areas, their furnishings and equipment using manual tools and electrically-powered machines. The Custodial Tech also moves furniture and equipment for cleaning or for special events which may require carrying and erecting tables, chairs, stages, podiums, sound shells, and similar items indoors and out-of-doors. Being flexible with your schedule and overtime as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cleans assigned facilities (e.g. offices, restrooms, corridors, carpets, windows, walls, classrooms, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe and attractive environment.
- Inspects campus facilities for the purpose of ensuring that the site is suitable for safe operations, maintained in an attractive and clean condition, sanitizing and/or identifying/reporting necessary repairs due to vandalism, equipment breakage, weather conditions, etc.
- Arranges equipment and furnishings (e.g. furniture arrangements, tables, chairs, risers, etc.) for the purpose of providing adequate arrangements for meetings, classroom activities and events.
- Maintains custodial supplies and equipment (e.g. cleaning solutions, paper products, custodial tools, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of items required to properly maintain facilities.
- Communicates issues about safety and/or proper maintenance of facilities to supervisor, students, site staff and others for the purpose of providing information, obtaining repairs, ensuring safety and/or scheduling special cleaning.
- Reports damages, unsafe conditions and items needing repair for the purpose of preventing accidents, keeping the campus safe, and in a properly functioning condition conducive to the educational process.
- Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. facility damage, injured or ill students, unauthorized persons, alarms, etc.) for the purpose of taking appropriate action to resolve immediate safety issues and maintaining a functioning educational environment.
- Secures and opens facilities before and after usage as needed or assigned (e.g. gates, building access doors, security systems, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring facilities are operational and safe for occupancy.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: A high school diploma or the equivalent is required.
- License: A valid California driver's license is required.
- Experience: At least 6 months of experience in custodial services which includes knowledge of cleaning procedures, equipment and supplies is required.
- Skills: Must be able to read the English language sufficiently to understand written work orders and instructions as well as direction for the proper mixture, use, and disposal/storage of cleaners, solvents, chemicals and similar products used in custodial services.
- Work Environment: The work area involves moderate discomfort and/or risk such as that from moving machinery, occasional work with hazardous substances, or moderate levels of noise. The work may require wearing protective gear. The work area is generally adequately lighted and ventilated, but may involve uncomfortable temperatures at times. Must be able to lift and carry custodial supplies and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis and up to 75 pounds on an occasional basis, prolonged walking or standing and frequent bending, stooping, and reaching on a daily basis. Requires a full range of physical motion in order to operate manual and electrically-powered cleaning equipment and machines. Requires the ability to access facilities and areas that may only be accessible by climbing ladders or stairs, bending, reaching on top of partitions, cabinets, bookcases and ledges, moving furniture, supplies, equipment, or office machines. Must be able to move throughout assigned areas, as work is performed indoors and out-of-doors. Some positions in this job classification (job title) are designated as essential employees who must report to work as scheduled when campus offices are closed due to severe weather; the supervisor will communicate whether the particular position is considered essential and under what situations.
- Supervision: The Custodial Tech is supervised by Custodial Supervisor II and takes direction from Supervisor I.