- Rochester, NY, USA
medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 403B life retirement, pay time off
Under the supervision of the Director of Community Interventions, the Community Intervention
Specialist (CIS) is responsible for engaging in positive, social events and activities that
directly/indirectly respond to gun violence in the community. The CIS will work with grassroots
organizations, community members, and others to provide positive prosocial events, restorative
services and mentorship in the heart of geographic areas where gun violence and trauma have hit the
Rochester community the hardest.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Reports to the Director of Community Intervention Services.
• Join in the community on the ground in neighborhoods, listening and engaging residents
impacted by gun violence.
• Provide connections to positive, social events and activities, in collaboration with other state
funded partners and collaborators to include the Project RISE steering committee.
• Support the Director in developing community forums, meetings, events, and other activities
that respond to community needs, address gun violence, and advance project prosocial goals.
• Support existing efforts aiming to eliminate gun violence.
• Under the leadership of the director, support and implement the outreach strategy; participate
or lead where appropriate.
• Engage in mentorship at various community centers, R-Centers, Schools, and churches,
developing a positive relationship with community members.
• Train in restorative practices and provide restorative services to community, collaborating
with existing restorative teams within Ibero when appropriate.
• Some evenings and weekends are required
• Any other duties assigned deemed pertinent by Ibero-American Action League's President & CEO
This position holds a relatively high degree of independence within the framework of the agency's
policies and procedures. The individual must be resourceful and able to display initiative and
understanding of management systems and interpersonal relations. Must keep immediate
supervisor abreast of issues and concerns which merit intervention from higher level management
• Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
• Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
• Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers' needs while following
• Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
• Developing Others-Ability to teach or foster the development of others, giving constructive
feedback and reassurance after problems.
• Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age,
gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or job type.
• Ethical - Ability to demonstrate professionalism conforming to a set of values and accepted
• Interpersonal-Ability/desire to understand others' attitudes/interests/needs/nonverbal
behavior, listening skills, and understanding strengths/limitations of others.
• Leadership- Ability to Motivate, influence, and support others to accomplish team and
• Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
• Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
• Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
Skills and Abilities:
HS Diploma or GED preferred.
A minimum of 2 years' experience engaging in community-based services.
Valid driver's license, ability to provide own transportation and travel to various locations.
Experience collaborating with community human services providers.
Experience working in public safety OR violence reduction OR community development preferred.
Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred, not required.
Must be able to perform all functions with minimal supervision.
Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
A combination of training and experience other than the specified, if judged to be adequate
for the job, may considered.
The position does require occasional standing, squatting, lifting of up to approximately 10 lbs.
And frequent sitting