- Rochester, NY, USA
Under the guidance and supervision of the Director of Health Literacy & Language Services or designee, the Health Promoter/Interpreter is responsible for promoting the Stroke Prevention Program, providing education on stroke prevention and interpretation services primarily in the Latino community.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Reports to the Director of Health Literacy & Language or designee.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with program staff, URMC Stroke Prevention staff, other Ibero program staff, professionals from other community programs and community brokers to coordinate services.
- Learns about stroke prevention education materials to use during educational presentations throughout the Latino community.
- Identifies Latinos in the community through outreach and engagement activities to share information about stroke prevention and other health related information.
- Organizes a schedule of outreach and engagement activities to disseminate stroke prevention information and available health resources primarily to the Latino community.
- Provides interpreter services to organizations / businesses as requests are received.
- Collects participant demographic information and feedback on education presentations.
- Maintains excellent daily records of outreach and engagement activities and stroke prevention presentations.
- Prepares and submits program's monthly report and any other required reports.
- Attends formal and informal training sessions in/outside the agency.
- Participates in community activities as representative of the program when assigned.
- Is available to work outside regularly scheduled work hours as needed.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the immediate supervisor.
The employee exercises initiative and independence in establishing his/her schedule for meetings with staff, participants, and community agencies. Follows established procedures for conducting the tasks required of the position. The individuals must be creative and resourceful to be able to assess situations to determine if a crisis is involved and how to best proceed within the framework of the agency's and program's policies and procedures. Consults with the supervisor if in doubt before proceeding.
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers' needs while following company procedures.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Developing Others-Ability to teach or foster the development of others, giving constructive feedback and reassurance after problems.
- Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Ethical - Ability to demonstrate professionalism conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Interpersonal-Ability/desire to understand others' attitudes/interests/needs/nonverbal behavior, listening skills, and understanding strengths/limitations of others.
- Leadership- Ability to motivate, influence, and support others to accomplish team and organizational goals.
- Training & Presentation Skills.
- Relationship Building-Ability to build/maintain friendly relationships/networks with people who might be useful in achieving work-related goals.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
Skills and Abilities:
- Associate Degree in Human Services or related field preferred.
- Interpreter 40 Hours Course Certificate
- A minimum of 2 years of experience working with the Latino community in health related and human services programs.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Zoom & social media.
- Able to provide own transportation and a valid N.Y.S. driver's license.
- A combination of training and experience other than the specified, if judged to be adequate for the job, may be accepted by the President and CEO
The position does require occasional standing, squatting, lifting of up to approximately 10 lbs. And frequent sitting.
Ibero American Action League is committed to the policy of equal employment opportunity. This policy expressly prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, veteran status or status as a member of any other protected group or activity.