- Rochester, NY, USA
- 19.00 per hour Dependent on education and experience background
Medical, Dental, Vision, Holidays, Vacation, 403b Retirement
Under the guidance & direct supervision of the Supervisor of Intervention Services, the Prevention and Intervention Specialist - Bilingual will work in collaboration with students and staff including teachers, principals, social workers, counselors, and any other support staff of the school community to promote and implement Restorative Practices delivered in Spanish. Restorative Practices promote community building and alternatives to traditional intervention and discipline practices. The Specialist must maintain a safe and secure environment, conducive to learning and in compliance with the program's performance objectives that are met at all times.
Note: Depending on school assignment, this position will be either a 10-month or 12-month position.
- Develop and implement restorative practices including, educational training and coaching for students and school staff
- Ability to facilitate and negotiate a settlement between disputing parties by providing direction and encouragement, working collaboratively with parties, and finding creative ways to reach a mutual solution.
- Ability to work one on one with students and provide social skills development strategies including effective communication, stress management, and positive conflict resolution skills
- Ability to facilitate in group settings and lead circles on topics like community building, racial justice, response to harm, and socio-emotional support/learning among other restorative practices.
- Develop and implement harm reduction activities including but not limited to, crisis management and behavior management techniques.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise sound judgment and discretion, work collaboratively with others and foster an effective working relationship with students, staff, parents, and representatives from funding/accrediting agencies, school faculty, related community agencies, and other programs within IBERO.
- Advocate for youth and families from many racial, ethnic, cultural, and sexual orientations backgrounds.
- Assures compliance with Ibero's and Rochester City School district's rules and regulations and performance standards.
- Represent and support Restorative Practices at meetings, community events, and other engagements.
- Must take the initiative to do everything possible to meet the performance objectives for each student.
- Prepares all required program reports in a timely fashion and maintains accurate student files.
- Attends formal and informal meetings and training sessions in/outside the agency.
- Provide access to additional support, resources, and services from Ibero American Action League.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Program Supervisor and/or Director or delegates.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in counseling, human services, or social work and 2 years experience in human services or a combination of education and experience.
- Experience and training in Restorative Practices prefer.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of child and adolescent development including positive youth development, risk, and protective factors, harm reduction, and conflict resolution.
- Experience working with children and youth in grades K to 12.
- Understand urban culture
- Ability to speak positively and respectfully to the youth and their families.
- Valid NYS license and access to own transportation
- Must have clearance through NYS Central Registry and a good police record.
- Good physical and mental health.
- A combination of training and experience other than the specified, if judged to be adequate for the job, may be accepted by the President and CEO
The position does require occasional standing, squatting, and lifting of up to approximately 40 lbs. And frequent sitting.
Authority: The employee exercises considerable initiative and makes decisions regarding assignments of tasks and monitoring activities. Must use sound judgment in reaching those decisions and in the day to day tasks with the students. The individual must be resourceful and able to display initiative and understanding of the agency's policies and procedures.