Under the supervision of the Residential Coordinator, the Direct Support Professional will foster independence in the residence through individual program plans, recreational activities and one-on-one counseling. The Direct Support Professional will be part of an interdisciplinary treatment plan. Responsible along with the other staff for the maintenance of the home and the welfare of the residents.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Counsel, coach and teach clients while providing supervision, training and assistance in accomplishing activities of daily living which includes but is not limited to personal(bathing, brushing teeth, etc.), Social Skills, Recreation Skills, Community Skills and Domestics Skills. (Some resident s require change of depends)
- Facilitates Residential Habilitation plans on a daily basis.
- Coverage of all homes when requested/required.
- Administers or supervises administration of medications for clients in accordance with the residence medication policy. Must maintain medical certification at all times while employed.
- Provides client residential habilitation services, counseling and crisis intervention as prescribed by clients' Individual Program Plan.
- Initiates structured and unstructured recreational and leisure time activities consistent with the Individual Program Plan.
- Maintains appropriate and up-to-date documentation for each client, to include, but not limited to, Residential Habilitation notes, Clinical Progress Notes. Behavior Data Sheets, Program Travel Logs, Progress Data Reports, Progress notes and Monthly Summaries.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the IRAs, i.e., housekeeping, laundry, lawn care, Snow removal (shoveling all exits/patios) etc.
- Ensures the promotion of Independence, Integration, inclusion and productivity among clients.
- Ensures the delivery of the rehabilitative services or res hab goals.
- Assists the Residence Manager in providing the clients' dietary needs which includes but is not limited to meal preparation, meal planning, grocery shopping, etc.
- Attends agency and staff education and training sessions as requested by the Residence Manager.
- Attends monthly staff meetings to evaluate and promote effectiveness of both the individual program and the general program.
- As a mandated reporter you have a legal duty to report any unusual situations suspicions or witnessing of abuse involving consumers, to the Residence Manager in a timely fashion.
- Responsible for calling three (3) hours in advance if not reporting for scheduled shift.
- Adheres to agency program policies and procedures.
- Abides by the Code of Conduct provisions.
- Performs other necessary duties relevant to the position as requested by the Residential Coordinator.
This position exercises considerable initiative and independence in setting goals, activities and resident reviews. Under the general supervision of the Residence Manager, she/he will maintain a professional and responsible work environment for the program.
- Support a person's unique capacities, personality and potential
- Getting to know a person through assessment/discovery
- Promoting advocacy with the individual
- Facilitating personal growth and development
- Facilitation of supports and services
- Building and maintaining relationships
- Creating meaningful communication
- Develop professional relationships
- Exhibit professional behavior
- Show respect for diversity and inclusion
- Create meaningful documentation reports
- Education, training and self-development activities
- Organizational participation
- Exhibit ethical behavior on the job
- Promote positive behavior and support
- Supports health and wellness
- Prevents, recognizes and reports abuse
- Supports crisis prevention, intervention and resolution
- Supports safety
- Ensures safety of individuals during environmental emergencies
- Supports people to live in the home of their choice
- Supports active participation in the community
- Supports employment, education and career goal attainment
Skills and Abilities:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Six months Human Service experience.
- Current valid NYS driver's license.
- Clean Background Check.
- A combination of training and experience other than the specified, if judged to be adequate for the job, may be accepted by the President and CEO.
- The position does require occasional standing, squatting, lifting of up to approximately 50 lbs. And frequent sitting.
Ibero American Action League is committed to the policy of equal employment opportunity. This policy expressly prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, veteran status or status as a member of any other protected group or activity.