- Hutchinson, KS, USA
- 15.94-25.51 per hour $15.94 - $25.51 per hour depending on qualifications
- Full Time
Imagine if you were given an opportunity to connect with others who work to keep our community the most livable and safe it can possibly be. If you're an experienced auto mechanic and would be interested in working in a very diverse repair shop, you may be a great addition to our Public Works team. Make a difference with the City of Hutchinson!
Under the direct supervision of the Fleet Superintendent, the Senior Fleet Mechanic performs a variety of skilled mechanical maintenance and repair to gasoline and diesel-powered automotive vehicles, heavy equipment, emergency response vehicles, equipment including fixed plant equipment, tools, and the City's fueling station. Challenges and problems inherent in this position include the diversity of equipment and vehicles maintained, the number of individuals and departments being served, and the requirement to be capable of operating equipment and vehicles being maintained. The Senior Fleet Mechanic is challenged to maintain knowledge of new technologies incorporated into maintenance and repair for vehicles and equipment. This employee should possess a strong mechanical and technical aptitude, and effective public relations and communication skills.
A DAY IN THE LIFE:
- Ensures compliance with City policies and procedures to and including all departmental and City Safety Policies and Protocols.
- Operates electronic automotive diagnostic and test equipment including, but not limited, to OBD scan equipment, battery/charging system test equipment, brake system testing equipment, diesel/gasoline engine electronic test equipment for various diesel and gasoline engine manufacturers, and other electronic testing equipment.
- Navigation of computerized electronic parts and service manuals.
- Diagnoses and evaluates repair issues to City vehicles and equipment.
- Electronically prepare work orders and complete information pertaining to repairs including user comments, mileage, vehicle or equipment number, parts, and supplies used to accomplish repairs.
- Conduct an effective Preventive Maintenance Program.
- Make repairs to small engines including weed eaters, gas-powered cutoff saws, chain saws, mowers, water pumps, generators, and other small engine repairs.
- Responds to vehicle and equipment breakdowns and service calls.
- Maintain accurate records of repairs and parts on vehicle and equipment repairs.
- Operate various tools and equipment used in repairs to City vehicles and equipment.
- Inspects, maintains, and repairs tools and fixed plant equipment.
- Maintains and makes repairs to City vehicles and equipment.
- Purchase parts, supplies, and tools.
- Assist in inventory control of parts, supplies, tools, and other equipment.
- Ensures the safe operation of the facility by keeping work areas safe, clean, and organized.
- Provides courteous service to individuals and departments being served.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL:
- EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED is required. A related technical degree or some college credit is preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: Minimum of two years of experience performing diagnostic, maintenance, and repair work of automotive and heavy equipment; must have basic proficiency with computers, communications radios, and other office equipment. Must be able to read, understand, and interpret schematics, reports, and manuals.
- CERTIFICATIONS/LICENSE: Must be able to obtain a Class B Commercial Driver's License (C.D.L.) with air brake endorsement within six (6) months of employment. Underground Fuel Storage Tank A/B Certification and a minimum of two ASE Certifications are preferred at the time of employment and required within 12 months of employment.
- RESIDENTIAL REQUIREMENT: Applicants must live within 25 minutes of the City of Hutchinson Public Works facility and be able to report to the facility within 30 minutes for after-hours emergency calls.
- EQUIPMENT: Must have the ability to use personally owned hand tools for this position. Specialty tools and equipment will be supplied by the City of Hutchinson.
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Medical & Dependent Care
- Retirement: KPERS & 457 Retirement Savings Plan
- Insured Disability
- Life Insurance & Optional Voluntary Life Insurance
- Death Benefit
- Service Connected Death
- Vacation Leave, Sick Leave, Wellness Day, Floating Holidays & City
- Designated Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
Click here to view a complete job description: http://www.appdocs.com/applicantpro/files/City_of_Hutchinson_Senior_Fleet_Mechanic.docx
The City of Hutchinson employs over 400 employees that serve our community every day. City employees make Hutchinson a great place to live, work, and play. We take pride in our work and it shows. Come be a part of a workforce that makes a difference! We're always looking for talented, self-motivated individuals to join our team.
The City of Hutchinson is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.