Evenings (3pm-11pm) with every other weekend rotation.
Our Hospice Inpatient Unit (HIU) on the Mitchell Campus in Cheektowaga, NY, provides a relaxing home-like setting for select patients and their families. Our unique, 22-bed unit is only offered to patients whose pain or symptoms cannot be managed at home or are approaching their final stage. Hospice patients can also be admitted to the unit for short-term respite care to give the patient's caregivers a short break.
This position is responsible for the day to day coordination of patient care. Provides leadership and direction to the nursing staff, including expertise in the planning of patient care. Responsible for coordination of staff including scheduling. Serves as a liaison between physician and patient care team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates ability to perform comprehensive assessments to identify all physical, psychosocial, environmental, safety, emotional and spiritual needs related to the terminal illness that must be addressed in order to promote the patient's well-being, comfort, and dignity throughout the dying process and documents findings on all appropriate forms and on the plan of care.
- Demonstrates clinical competency, including those skills and procedures that require substantial and specialized nursing skill (i.e. mediport flush, wound care etc.).
- Executes patient/family/caregiver teaching in all given situations including disease progression and etiologies of common symptoms (i.e. pain, anxiety, delirium, SOB, edema, nausea & vomiting etc.).
- Anticipates patient/family needs or problems and makes recommendations for changes in the POC in collaboration with the IDT and attending MD.
- Provides oversight of clinical day to day operations.
- Elicited no founded patient/family complaints or unusual occurrences (i.e. reportable incidents).
- Demonstrates proper sharps disposal, hand hygiene, waste disposal, use of personal protective equipment.
- Adheres to requirements of both CHPC and Hospice Buffalo policies and procedures that are both patient focused (clinical) and organizational focused (administrative); Adheres to HIPPA regulations and policies.
- Maintains the security of patient electronic/written records.
- Documents to agency standards, timely completion, timely signatures, and documents using A-I-R protocol and meets Medicare and regulatory guidelines.
- Incorporates computer documentation into patient visit and/or as much as appropriately possible without compromising the quality of care and/or communication.
- Assists to process HCHB workflow timely and accurately.
- Manages and directs professional and ancillary personnel to ensure appropriate utilization of staff and staff competency on his/her shift.
- Participates in the weekend, holiday and back-up on-call schedule as appropriate.
- Education / Certification
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with current RN licensure in the State of New York.
Certification in Hospice and Palliative Care Nursing preferred.
(2) Years of nursing practice as a professional nurse is preferred.
Hospice offers a Competitive Pay Structure.
- Premium Pay $ per hour on base depending on role
- Shift Differential $ per hour on base depending on time of day, and day of the week
Hospice offers a Robust Total Rewards Package
- Employer 401k contribution regardless of employee participation, and match on employee contributions there after
- Health Insurance with vision component copayment plan, or high deductible plan
- HSA with high deductible health plan twice annual Employer contribution
- Dental Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Paid Time Off PTO & NYS Sick Leave
- Tuition Assistance Program
- And Much More!