Drives ambulette vehicle to transport non-emergent hospice patients. Assists patients with entering and exiting the vehicle utilizing proper patient handling techniques, body mechanics and equipment. Includes cross training to the HIU Home Health Aide duties including: assisting in the caring of individuals in the home setting and under the supervision of a RN or other professional personnel, performing personal care procedures, health related tasks and other homemaking / housekeeping activities to maintain or achieve the patient's optimal level of health.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives and coordinates patient transport requests; responding to requests in accordance with established guidelines.
- Assists patients with entering and exiting the vehicle utilizing appropriate techniques and equipment.
- Maintains cleanliness and maintenance of vehicle according to DOT and DOH guidelines.
- Demonstrates an ability to communicate with patients and families in a supportive manner that is understandable and culturally appropriate.
- Demonstrates appropriate Infection Control, hand hygiene, waste disposal, use of personal protective equipment, bag (supply/tote) technique and knowledge of standard precautions.
- During non-transportation time - assists the HIU with Home Health Aide duties including assisting patients with appropriate hygiene and grooming inclusive of bathing, hair shampoo, nail & skin care, oral hygiene, toileting/assistance with elimination, taking vital signs and weights. Assists with health related tasks.
- May also assist the DME Department for pickup and delivery of DME Equipment and supplies.
Education / Certification
High School Diploma or GED required;
Completion of a NYSHD approved Home Health Care training with Home Health Aide Certification;
Valid Driver's license, free of serious violations, required.
EMT experience preferred.