If you thrive on new challenges and want to make meaningful contributions to real-life projects, why not make your first career step an internship with HLR?
Are you a Junior or Senior in an accredited Civil Engineering program? Our robust internship program will introduce you to real-world engineering projects in the transportation industry. HLR strives to grow our intern's knowledge of the engineering industry by providing practical, educational opportunities to participate in the daily operations of our company and to observe how the industry works firsthand. As an intern, you will assist with active roadway construction projects and will be exposed to the wide-range of services that our firm has to offer. Please note that our internships are for students who are currently in school. All students must be authorized to work in the U.S.
ABOUT HAMPTON, LENZINI AND RENWICK, INC. (HLR)
Founded in 1965, we are an employee-owned corporation and a leading provider of professional consulting engineering, environmental, and surveying services for public agencies and private-sector clients in Illinois. We've built a reputation for personalized client service, superior project management, and a dedication to delivering each of our client's vision. We listen to our clients and develop solutions to meet their needs and we treat everyone with respect, including clients, the community, and our colleagues.
We believe that our team is what draws clients to our company. Our team is made up of smart, driven people with an impressive range of experience, achievements, and backgrounds. This is one of the reasons that our firm has become so highly respected in the industry and is a trusted partner in the community. We offer a flexible, remote schedule and are still able to keep team members engaged in challenging projects as well as available to their families during this unprecedented time. We offer competitive pay, great benefits, an open-door management style, a rewarding & fun work environment, and great work-life balance. We are proud to be named an Employer of Choice by PSMJ for 2022, based on our workforce retention, productivity, and superior level of employee engagement.
On any given day, you'll:
- Assist on various construction projects
- Gain experience reading and interpreting construction plans and specifications
- Measure and document quantities
- Receive instruction on specific assignment objectives, complex features, and possible solutions from professional engineering staff
- Be exposed to design engineering, land surveying, traffic engineering, and structural engineering projects, as available
- Junior or Senior enrolled in an accredited Civil Engineering program
- Valid driver's license with a good driving record
- Ability to work from late-May through mid-August
Desired Skills and Experiences:
- Previous internship or experience with construction, municipal, roadway, traffic, or structural experience is beneficial
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time
- Ability to sit, walk, reach, crouch, bend, and walk or stand on uneven surfaces for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 30 lbs.
- Constant hand, finger, and arm use