- Helotes, TX, USA
- Part Time
Court Bailiffs are law enforcement officers who provide security to Court personnel, City Prosecutor, Judge and ensure order during Court proceedings. The Bailiff will serve directly under the Warrant Officer for Court duties and assignments. Main job duties will be to provide security and maintain decorum in the Courtroom. The Bailiff will enforce the rules of the Court and also provide administrative support to the Bailiff supervisors, Judges and other Court personnel, as needed during Court.
Use tact, diplomacy and a helpful attitude in all contacts with the public and other City employees; communicate effectively and courteously with the public, council members, and coworkers in person, in writing and by phone.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Conduct metal detection of individuals before entering the Courtroom.
- Search individuals and any bags, purses and briefcases brought into City Hall during Court hours.
- Ensure order and security within the Municipal building during Court.
- Lock and unlock Courtroom for Court personnel and defendants as needed.
- Maintain and check that the Courtroom is properly set-up and in order before and after trials and arraignments are held.
- Keep up to date on Court schedule.
- Open Court and inform Judge that Court is ready as necessary.
- Take custody and direct jurors and defendants to their places when necessary for Court.
- Relay messages from jurors to judge.
- Advises Court personnel and attorneys as required when verdicts are reached.
- Escort defendants to and from the Courtroom when appearing before the City Prosecutor.
- Deal courteously and tactfully with Court Clerks and all persons having contact or business with the Court.
- Contact a variety of Court personnel, government workers, and lawyers in an efficient, competent and professional manner.
- Provide assistance to Court personnel and Warrant Officer with any other duties that may be assigned.
- Provide security for special events occurring within The City of Helotes, as directed and needed.
- Assist Warrant Officer in warrant collection.
- Assist in other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Prior bailiff/Municipal knowledge.
- Must possess a high level of professionalism, civility and discretion.
- Must pass a drug screen and security background check.
- Must be available and agree to attend schools in or out of town for training purposes if required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Prior experience with Court security procedures.
CERTIFICATES & LICENSES:
- Must be a licensed Peace Officer for the State of Texas.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class "C" Texas Driver's License.
- All required licenses must be current and valid.
- May be required to carry, hold, lift, push and pull a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Through regular exercise and moderate living, shall maintain a physical condition as to be able to handle strenuous physical contacts or demands required of the active, uniformed law enforcement officers.
- Must have the ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Attend and assist with Municipal Court a minimum of three times a month, all jury trials each year, and Municipal special events throughout the year, as directed, to serve as security.
- May be required to work long hours, extending beyond 5:00 P.M. on certain court days and for special events.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.
Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
THE CITY OF HELOTES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Sign Up For Job Alerts!