- 09-Sep-2021 to 30-Nov-2021 (PST)
- Boston, MA, USA
- Full Time
The mission of the Handel and Haydn Society is to inspire the intellect, touch the heart, elevate the soul, and connect us all with our shared humanity through transformative experiences with Baroque and Classical music.
Diversity is therefore fundamental to our mission; it is a core value at the Handel + Haydn Society. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all employees. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions. We invite you to consider this position. We look forward to reviewing your application.
The goal of the Audience Development Manager, a new position at H+H, is to create and execute innovative strategies and tactics to increase attendance at H+H concerts by people of color, by students, and by groups. This is an opportunity to join a dynamic, supportive, hard-working team with the shared goal of increasing the organization's visibility, audience engagement, and educational outreach. The position reports to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications.
- Create and execute new strategies and tactics, data-driven and informed by market research, to increase BIPOC attendance, including but not limited to:
- Marketing and communications: advertising, direct marketing and social media
- Relationship-building: professional BIPOC affinity groups and similar organizations, community partners, influencers and leaders
- Collaborating with H+H colleagues to enhance the concert experience through a DEI lens: diversity onstage, collaborations with other arts organizations, receptions and similar social events
- Managing receptions and similar social events
- Implementing cross-selling promotions at community concerts, etc.
- Conceive and launch a new program to increase attendance by college students
- Become expert in successful programs at similar performing arts organizations and use that knowledge to create a new H+H student strategy, including:
- Communications: advertising, direct marketing, social media etc.
- Outreach to group activity boards and platforms and their managers, welcome fairs, music faculty
- Initiate a new group sales program
- Create group sales prospect lists, including elder living facilities, Councils on Aging, tourists, students, etc.
- Design communications to inform prospects of H+H offerings with a strong direct response component.
- Help group customers with ticketing fulfillment and scheduling of activities such as meet-and-greets with musicians, etc.
- For all of the above:
- Adopt a strong analytical approach to tracking promotions and results, and continually improving effectiveness of strategies and tactics. Prepare regular reports of promotional activity and results.
- Help execute email promotions through Wordfly.
- Help execute social media posts through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Hootsuite etc.
- Manage prospect and customer data in our CRM program, Tessitura.
- Serve as sales and related marketing support
- Box Office and phone queue back up during peak periods, selling tickets, processing subscription orders, handling incoming phone calls and assisting with the retail shop during concerts.
- Assist with execution of promotional plans for subscription and single ticket campaigns.
- Support the Heartstrings program in conjunction with our Education department.
- Attend all subscription concerts and community concerts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Related Experience and Skills:
- Strong written and verbal communication abilities.
- Expertise with: spreadsheets (Excel preferred), email systems (WordFly preferred), social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Hootsuite, etc.), and customer relationship management software (Tessitura preferred).
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, meet multiple deadlines, organize time and priorities independently, and work well as a committed member of the team.
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends.
Additional experience of value:
- College courses in marketing, marketing communications, or similar.
- Knowledge of the Boston business and education environment, including the untapped and new audiences identified above that are integral to this position.
- Experience working or volunteering with a performance arts organization.
- Knowledge of Baroque and Classical music and/or a desire to learn more about historically informed, period-instrument music and performance.
Note: Position requires occasional lifting of heavy printed materials, large boxes, and retail merchandise as well as the repetitive, daily use of a computer.
Please know that The Handel and Haydn Society is an equal opportunity employer meaning that in line with federal regulation, we do not discriminate against employees or job applicants based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. Further, we are committed to diversity in the workplace so that we may represent the traditions and voices of contemporary Boston. To implement these commitments, we work to develop diverse candidate pools before interviews are scheduled.