Note: If you would like to be considered for more than one position or position tier, please individually apply for all positions that you are interested in. One application submitted for a specific position does not automatically include you to be considered for all positions that you may be qualified to perform.
The Network Engineer Senior provides IT services at the National Science Foundation's (NSF) scientific research base at Palmer Station, Antarctica. This position is responsible for the administration, maintenance, troubleshooting, and security of all network equipment. The Network Engineer Sr. also provides desktop and user support, and assists the Systems Administrator Sr. with network servers, operating systems, and backup systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Install, configure, maintain, and document network hardware and software.
- Monitor network performance and reliability to proactively identify potential problems. Isolate faults and diagnose system failures to resolve problems in a timely manner. Tools include Zenoss, WhatsUp, Cacti, Scrutinizer, and NetExpress.
- Configure and manage Cisco routers, switches, firewalls, and wireless access points.
- Configure and manage Bluecoat PacketShaper.
- Configure and manage Riverbed Steelhead WAN optimizer.
- Manage Cisco Unified Communications Manager and voice gateways.
- Perform security and patch management, and implementation of standard configurations.
- Facilitate video teleconferences for medical consultations and educational outreach.
- Manage network webcams.
- Assist Systems Administrator Sr. with administration of Microsoft Server, Active Directory, Exchange, Group Policy Objects and SCCM; VMware vCenter; Veeam Backup; Red Hat Linux; DNS and DHCP.
- Maintain and troubleshoot server, workstation, printer, and copier hardware.
- Manage Windows and Macintosh workstations and applications.
- Serve as PC Tech and Help Desk, providing hands-on assistance to local users.
- Assist with life-cycle management evaluations and recommendations.
- Maintain system documentation.
- All other duties as assigned.
- U.S. citizenship or permanent residence is required.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field. Equivalent experience accepted in lieu of degree.
- The ideal candidate would have experience and expertise with many of the technologies and equipment listed above.
- Strong ability to troubleshoot complex multi-vendor network issues in LAN and WAN networks.
- Understanding of primary network topologies, LANs/WANs (Ethernet, variants), TCP/IP protocol and standards including SNMP and Syslog.
- Experience with Cisco IOS, routers, switches, firewalls, and wireless access points.
- Experience with network management applications and related protocols.
- Familiarity with VoIP infrastructure, implementation, and configuration.
- Microsoft and VMware systems administration background a plus.
- Administrative scripting skills preferred.
- Computer and peripheral troubleshooting and repair experience.
- Experience providing PC and Macintosh user support desired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with search and rescue, mountaineering, small boat operations, firefighting, or emergency medical response desired but not required.
- Outstanding customer service and interaction skills.
- High level of initiative and dedication.
- Ability to work both independently with little supervision, and in a team environment.
- Ability to get along well with others living and working in close quarters.
- Deployment will be required in this position. The individual in the position must successfully complete physical and dental examinations, as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.
- Individual must be capable of operating a standard desktop computer; must be able to lift and carry up to 10 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- This is a full-time, seasonal position located in Antarctica.
- All expenses paid while deployed including meals, lodging, cold-weather gear, tools, and travel to/from Antarctica.
- Performance Period: October 2023 - March 2024
- Employment will require candidate obtaining a public trust clearance
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Sign Up For Job Alerts!