Note: If you would like to be considered for more than one position or position tier, please individually apply for all positions that you are interested in. One application submitted for a specific position does not automatically include you to be considered for all positions that you may be qualified to perform.
The Systems Administrator Senior provides IT services at the National Science Foundation's (NSF) scientific research base at Palmer Station, Antarctica. This position is responsible for the administration, maintenance, troubleshooting, and security of all servers, workstations, network operating systems, and backup systems.
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for installation, configuration, administration, and system security of a multi-platform environment which includes Microsoft, VMware, Red Hat Linux, and Apple systems.
- Manage Microsoft Server, Active Directory, Exchange, Group Policy Objects, and SCCM.
- Administer VMware vCenter., and Veeam Backup.
- Maintain and troubleshoot server, workstation, printer, and copier hardware.
- Manage Windows and Macintosh workstations and applications.
- Responsible for the backup of data, including automatic backup routines and testing of data integrity.
- Create and manage user accounts.
- Assist in the maintenance and administration of Cisco VoIP systems and service.
- Administer DNS and DHCP.
- Serve as PC Tech and Help Desk, providing hands-on assistance to local users.
- Perform security and patch management, and implementation of standard configurations.
- Assist with life-cycle management evaluations and recommendations.
- Maintain system documentation.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field. Equivalent experience accepted in lieu of degree.
- Demonstrated IT administration and support experience.
- Microsoft Windows & VMware skills; Linux a plus.
- PowerShell administrative scripting skills preferred.
- Practical experience with virtual environment management and administration.
- Strong computer and peripheral troubleshooting and repair experience.
- Experience providing PC and Macintosh user support desired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with search and rescue, mountaineering, small boat operations, firefighting, or emergency medical response desired but not required.
- U.S. citizenship or permanent residence is required.
- Outstanding customer service and interaction skills.
- High level of initiative and dedication.
- Ability to work both independently with little supervision, and in a team environment.
- Ability to get along well with others living and working in close quarters.
- Deployment will be required in this position. The individual in the position must successfully complete physical and dental examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.
- Individual must be capable of operating a standard desktop computer; must be able to lift and carry up to 10 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- This is a full-time, seasonal position located in Antarctica.
- All expenses paid while on-ice meals, lodging, medical, gear, travel to and from Antarctica.
- Performance Period: October 2023 - March 2024
- Employment will require candidate obtaining a public trust clearance
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Sign Up For Job Alerts!