- McMurdo Station, ATA
Note: If you would like to be considered for more than one position or position tier, please individually apply for all positions that you are interested in. One application submitted for a specific position does not automatically include you to be considered for all positions that you may be qualified to perform.
Ensure safe installation and maintenance of all guyed towers, freestanding towers and antenna support structures in the USAP. The antenna riggers also install and maintain necessary coaxial cable, connectors on coaxial cabling, maintenance and repairs of antenna radomes. Installs and performs maintenance on various solar and wind-turbine power generation sites throughout Antarctic continent.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Install and maintain USAP HF, UHF, NHF, microwave, and satellite antenna systems.
- Install and maintain solar and wind-turbine power generation systems.
- Install and maintain antenna radomes.
- Develop and fabricate systems for securely installing antennae and other tower-mounted hardware.
- Design and install technical rigging and rope-access systems.
- Perform annual inspections and maintenance on antenna systems at USAP facilities: Palmer, South Pole, McMurdo, and deep field sites.
- Maintain inventory and assists with re-supply.
- Ensure that work areas meet all ASC and USAP safety standards.
- Frequently climbs towers up to 150' feet in height to perform all normal rigging duties as required.
- Frequently lifts 40 pounds.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace program and ensuring safety is the highest priority in the work place.
- All other duties as assigned.
- U.S citizenship or permanent residence is required.
- Current Tower Climbing Certification strongly preferred.
- High school graduate or equivalent required.
- Experience with technical rigging (tower or rope access) or experience installing structural steel.
- Knowledge of all safety aspects of high angle construction and technical rigging
- Experience with metal working/fabricating - including welding, cutting, drilling, grinding and bending - and proper use of relevant equipment.
- Experience with construction and anchoring techniques in rock, snow, and ice.
- Experience with electrical installation and wiring.
- Experience working with cranes and other heavy equipment.
- Familiarity with OSHA approved fall restraint and fall arrest systems and similar devices required to work safely above the ground.
- Wilderness or other Medical First Responder training.
- Technical Capacity.
- Organizational Skills.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Deployment will be required in this. The individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.
- Complies with applicable safety, environment, health, and waste management policies and procedure.
- Individual must be capable of operating a standard desktop computer; must be able to lift and carry up to 40 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- This is a full-time, seasonal position located in Antarctica.
- All expenses paid while on-ice meals, lodging, medical, gear, travel to and from Antarctica.
- Performance Period: October 2023 - February 2024
- Employment will require candidate obtaining a public trust clearance
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Sign Up For Job Alerts!