- McMurdo Station, ATA
- Full Time
Note: If you would like to be considered for more than one position or position tier, please individually apply for all positions that you are interested in. One application submitted for a specific position does not automatically include you to be considered for all positions that you may be qualified to perform.
Responsible for the management and maintenance of the network systems and associated equipment. Works with Network and Systems Administrator to troubleshoot connectivity and performance issues. Must be capable of requirements analysis and preparing designs and plans for network systems, expansions and upgrades in order to provide connectivity as needs arise. Maintains technical expertise in all areas of network and computer hardware and software interconnection and interfacing, such as routers, multiplexers, firewalls, hubs, bridges, gateways, etc.
Duties and responsibilities
- Create complete end-to-end project plans including designs and/or upgrades for enterprise-wide LANs/WANs within the United States Antarctic Program (USAP).
- Manage tasking as directed by IT management to ensure timely implementation or delivery of critical USAP infrastructure.
- Install, configure, maintain and document network hardware and software suites at multiple sites. Isolate faults and diagnose system failures to resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Monitor network performance and reliability to proactively identify potential problems.
- Establish and maintain secure networking environments based on security standards in conjunction with USAP policies.
- Provide engineering support to IT for new deployment, enhancements, or modifications to IT systems, both on-ice and off-ice.
- Assist in providing system, resource, and funding requirements for IT projects. May deploy to gather information or participate in system installations.
- Coordinate any modifications to the USAP network environment with other IT departments and affected users.
- Assist with life-cycle management evaluations and recommendations.
- Provide verbal, written and diagrammed inputs as requested by IT Management.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace program and ensuring safety is the highest priority in the work place.
- Required to provide 24X7 support and share responsibility for on-call rotation as required by manager.
- All other duties as assigned.
- U.S. citizenship or permanent residence is required.
- BS/BA degree in Engineering or Computer Science or related field with emphasis in computer networking preferred.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or higher Cisco certification is required. Other technical networking vendor certifications preferred.
- Six years of directly relevant experience in network engineering is required, including:
- Expertise in primary network topologies, LANs/WANs (Ethernet, variants), TCP/IP protocol (1Pv4) and standards including ICMP, SNMP and Syslog required.
- Expertise in TCP/IP protocol (1Pv6) preferred.
- Experience with configuring routing protocols, such as RIP, OSPF, EIGRP, and/or BGP is required.
- Configuration management expertise with Cisco lOS and hardware. Prior experience installing, configuring and maintaining Cisco routers and switches is required.
- Experience with network management applications, such as CiscoWorks, and related protocols such as SNMP is required.
- Experience with the configuration and management of network firewalls is required.
- Experience with VoiP infrastructure, implementation, and configuration is required.
- Experience with Virtual Private Networks and the various protocols and implementations is required.
- Ability to perform fault isolation and resolution in a methodical, thorough manner is required.
- Understanding of and experience applying Information Security concepts to core network infrastructure and data transport is required.
Candidates receive additional consideration with the following talents in addition to the basic requirements:
- Project management with cost estimation, cost analysis, scheduling, tasking, staffing, and reporting.
- Working knowledge of Linux and modern Microsoft Windows desktop and server operating systems.
- Cisco certifications including CCNP, CCDA, CCDP and CCIE.
- Experience with SONET, ISDN, Frame Relay and satellite communications.
- Experience with traffic shaping devices, WAN protocol accelerators and bandwidth management.
- Familiarity with common Internet application and service protocols such as DNS, DHCP, HTTP.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Organizational Skills.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Teamwork Orientation.
- Technical Capacity.
- Time Management.
- The individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.
- Complies with applicable safety, environment, health, and waste management policies and procedures.
- Individual must be capable of operating a standard desktop computer; must be able to lift and carry up to 10 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- This is a full-time, seasonal position located in Antarctica.
- All expenses paid while on-ice meals, lodging, medical, gear, travel to and from Antarctica.
- Performance Period: October 2023 - February 2024
- Employment will require candidate obtaining a public trust clearance
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Sign Up For Job Alerts!