- McMurdo Station, ATA
Note: If you would like to be considered for more than one position or position tier, please individually apply for all positions that you are interested in. One application submitted for a specific position does not automatically include you to be considered for all positions that you may be qualified to perform.
The Computer Technician Senior position provides PC support to users at USAP stations. This position is responsible for maintaining, implementing, configuring and repairing all computer systems and related peripheral systems and equipment. Installs and configures computer hardware and software. Provides direct user support for Tier 2 and Tier 3 work orders. Provides front-line support of grantee computer needs. This support includes general computer and application support, and customized activities such as computer to instrumentation interfacing. Guides and directs junior computer technicians in the accomplishment of mission and work tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform troubleshooting and repairs on all computers, peripheral systems and equipment, according to current desktop standard configuration guidelines and documented procedures.
- Perform daily review of assigned work orders in order to prioritize tasking. Document resolution and close completed work orders.
- Accountable for offering technical guidance and mentoring of Computer Technicians with focus on accurate completion of work orders and execution of standard operating procedures
- Image, test, and install desktop/laptop computers for all new hire or temporary duty employees; this includes installing encryption tools and configuring wireless access as needed.
- Perform and document preventive maintenance of computer equipment as required.
- Facilitate vendor warranty return process, test and evaluate items returned from repair.
- Responsible for maintaining physical inventories and ensuring accuracy as directed.
- Participate in lifecycle replacement tasking and other technical improvement projects.
- Manage retrograde efforts for all computer equipment, this includes performing DoD data wipe on all hard drives and preparing required documentation.
- Carry duty pager and provide AV support during presentations outside of work hours as needed.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace program and ensuring that safety is the highest priority in the workplace.
- Maintain an orderly work area and technical lab space clear of all hazards/debris.
- Participate in the creation of technical and procedural documentation. Perform annual/seasonal review of documentation.
- All other duties as assigned.
- U.S. citizenship or permanent residence is required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. AA degree in a technical discipline is preferred.
- Minimum four years of experience in computer systems installation and maintenance, troubleshooting, wireless access configuration and support, in a corporate environment is required (all reasonable and related trade experience is acceptable).
- Expert knowledge of Windows operating systems and applications is required.
- Experience with DOS, Windows and Macintosh operating systems is required.
- A+ and/or MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician) are preferred.
- Experience supporting business VPN access, disk imaging, and whole disk encryption is preferred.
- UNIX and Linux knowledge is desired.
- Technical Capacity.
- Organizational Skills.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Deployment will be required in this position. The individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.
- Complies with applicable safety, environment, health, and waste management policies and procedure.
- Individual must be capable of operating a standard desktop computer; must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- This is a full-time, seasonal position located in Antarctica.
- All expenses paid while on-ice; meals, lodging, medical, gear, travel to and from Antarctica.
- Performance Period: October 2023 - February 2024
- Employment will require candidate obtaining a public trust clearance
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Sign Up For Job Alerts!