Note: If you would like to be considered for more than one position or position tier, please individually apply for all positions that you are interested in. One application submitted for a specific position does not automatically include you to be considered for all positions that you may be qualified to perform.
Perform maintenance and repair of all inside and outside cable plant at USAP stations. The position is responsible for the maintenance and troubleshooting of the telephony systems for the station, fiber/copper cable plant for 1200+ users. The position provides critical required tasking such as fiber optic splicing, copper cable splicing and providing end user assistance with network and telephone troubleshooting and usage on the station.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that work areas meet all ASC and USAP safety standards.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace program and ensuring safety is the highest priority in the work place.
- Provide phone system management.
- Input cable and equipment data into Cable Management Software
- Assist communications Department with Black Island related events.
- Survey all OSP cables and hardware for damage and schedule repairs as necessary.
- Provide voice/data services to outlying field sites.
- Provide support for testing and implementation of (802.11b) wireless LAN devices.
- Install and repair Analog telephones.
- Install and maintain inside and outside CATV, UTP, and Fiber distribution plant.
- Install and maintain LAN cable drops & runs.
- Maintain Automated Teller Machines and associated network equipment.
- Update cable plant optical fiber and UTP as-builts.
- Maintain Telco inventory and records.
- Support Pair Gain DSL Systems.
- Install and maintain all network transmission and distribution media, including twisted pair and optical fiber.
- Maintain up to date cable records.
- Update SOPs as needed.
- Provide installation and maintenance support for HDSL transmission facilities.
- Assist in annual departmental inventory and re-supply ordering.
- All other duties as assigned.
- U.S. citizenship or permanent residency is required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Continued education in technical courses pertaining to telecommunications electronics is preferred.
- Minimum four years of experience in telecommunications systems is required.
- Must be able to install, troubleshoot, and maintain OSP/ISP Fiber, OSP/ISP Copper, up to industry standards.
- Experience with wiring standards and protocols required.
- Solid understanding of logical and systematic troubleshooting techniques is required.
- Excellent command of computers and software used in modern telecommunications facilities is required. Familiarity with the use of telecommunications test equipment, OTDRs, bit error rate testers and communications analyzers are required.
- BICSI Installer Certification preferred.
- Experience with Cable Management Software systems preferred.
- Familiarity with electronics equipment cabling and standard installation wiring practices is required. Minimum two years' experience maintaining digital communications equipment preferred.
- Technical Capacity.
- Organizational Skills.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Deployment will be required in this position. The individual in the position must successfully complete physical and dental examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.
- Complies with applicable USAP/ASC safety, environmental, health, and waste management policies and procedures.
- Individual must be capable of operating a standard desktop computer; must be able to lift and carry up to 10 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- This is a full-time, seasonal position located in Antarctica.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled