- Washington, DC, USA
- Part Time
Part-Time/Freelance Junior Designer/Production Assistant
Location: Washington D.C. or Remote
FDD is a DC-based nonpartisan 501(c)(3) research institute focusing on national security and foreign policy. FDD is seeking a highly organized Junior Designer/Production Assistant to assist our growing in-house design and marketing teams. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, strategically minded, and has a passion for design with international affairs. FDD conducts actionable research, prepared by experts and scholars from a variety of backgrounds - including government, intelligence, military, private sector, academia, and journalism. The Junior Designer/Production Assistant will work directly with FDD's Senior Designer and be responsible for producing a range of products that supports our in-house team in advancing institutional and strategic objectives.
To be considered, please provide relevant samples from your portfolio (as PDF or website link)
- Layout production of books for in-house imprint FDD Press.
- Print and web layout for monographs and research memos.
- Assist with production work for creative content such as illustrations, infographics, graphs, and charts to promote and support research on social media.
- Design graphics and email templates for events and podcasts.
- Receive creative direction and create/revise/develop new design layouts or re-size to fit new adaptations.
- Collaboration with print and web vendors.
- Closely follow and stay up to date with design trends and developments.
- Manage and upkeep of organized file structures.
- BA or BFA degree in graphic design, fine arts, or related field.
- Minimum 2 years prior experience with graphic design and visual communications.
- Portfolio of design work.
- Proficient in Adobe CC, specifically: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat Pro.
- Proficiency in Mac OS environment as well as Microsoft Office suite.
- Understanding of typography, brand standards, four-color printing.
- Collaborate well with others and willing to learn and grow on the job.
- Commitment to FDD's mission and goals.
Additional experience and proficiency with the following are desirable but not required:
- After Effects motion graphics
- Tableau statistics/data visualization
- Video production
- Front-end development
- PDF or online portfolio
- Cover letter