Technical Writer - Senior Level- REMOTE
Dayton T. Brown, Inc. (DTB) has been synonymous with the pursuit of excellence and customer service for over 70 years. Our Technical Services Division provides technical documentation, communication, and logistics/maintenance planning services for some of the biggest names in the industry.
Join our amazing team of talented, dedicated professionals at DTB.
Under limited direction, this position is responsible for leading a task for documenting and developing detailed operation, maintenance and/or troubleshooting procedures, checklists, technical specifications, alert bulletins, training materials and other procedures and reports. The candidate shall be responsible for project technical data tracking, versioning and life cycle within DTB's Tech Suite, common source database (CSDB), and be the subject matter expert (SME) with assigned project writing specifications (ATA, S1000D, MIL-STD-40051, MIL-STD-3001, MIL-STD-38784, MIL-PRF-83495, etc.).
Duties and Responsibilities will include:
- Have experience with interactive electronic technical manuals (IETM) development
- General knowledge of S1000D business rules; and how project specific technical data is developed in accordance with (IAW) a project book plan or technical data development plan.
- Lead technical data development by leveraging source data from logistics management information (LMI) maintenance task analysis (MTA), 3D models, engineering documentation and drawings.
- Ensure appropriate technical information and data is accumulated through researching and analyzing project engineering drawings, test procedures, design specifications/documentation, and software description documents.
- Be responsible to lead development of operational procedures and corrective maintenance and diagnostics (troubleshooting) procedures for Organizational (O-Level), Intermediate (I-Level) and Depot (D-Level) maintenance as required by the project.
- Ensure clear, concise and accurate technical documentation is authored, and that the team is adhering to the processes required by the project.
- When required, collaborate effectively with Subject Matter Experts such as engineers, technicians, and publications personnel.
- Actively lead team meetings, and interface with illustrators and production personnel to support the development of technical documentation.
- Analyze validity and impact of customer comments.
- Ensure team assignments are completed in timely manner to facilitate on-time delivery of technical data to our customers.
- Contribute to continuous improvement objectives to achieve quality goals.
In this role you will also need to be flexible and work closely, yet remotely, with the DTB team of technical writers, illustrators, production and managers. You will be tasked to ensure the team is following DTB processes and company work instructions; to consistently produce accurate, high quality documents while working in a fast paced environment; and be able to multi-task, and work independently.
The ideal Candidate will need:
- 4-year College Degree or 9+ years of Aviation/Aerospace and/or Defense work experience
- Able to think critically and compare source data files (engineering data, blueprints, Excel files, PDFs, PowerPoints, etc.) to produce technical data used in technical publications
- Able to troubleshoot and to think outside the box
- In-depth knowledge of XML or SGML, and IETMs/IETPs
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel, FrameMaker, Arbortext Editor, and/or Oxygen, and working knowledge of Mil Specifications
- Technical understanding of aircraft/engines to interpret procedures/graphics, a plus
- In-depth knowledge of working in S1000D CSDBs or DITA CMS
- Disciplined to work remotely, with the ability to multitask and switch priorities based on customer requirements
- Consistent and clear in your written and communication skills, and a quick learner
- Organized, dependable, have a positive attitude and ability to self-start
- Experienced in proper data management/tracking practices and time management skills
- Eager to accept a challenge
- Able to work overtime
- US Citizenship Required
As an employee of Dayton T Brown, you can expect a great working environment which provides security and opportunity to grow within the company and much more such as:
- Tuition reimbursement
- A stable, successful organization
- Innovative work environment
- Advancement potential
- Private medical, vision and dental insurance
- Profit sharing, 401K
- Work/Life balance and family values
As a federal contractor, Dayton T. Brown, Inc. is subject to Executive Order 14042 which requires Company employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accordingly, as a condition of employment, individuals offered employment at this Company must be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical or religious exemption. Proof of vaccination or exemption documentation must be submitted prior to the commencement of employment.
Dayton T. Brown, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class.