Located in the heart of San Francisco's vibrant Lower Pacific Heights neighborhood, Drew School is an independent high school enrolling 280 students in grades 9 through 12. Drew's mission speaks to a fundamental belief in teenagers that truly sets the school apart. We recognize and honor their innate gifts, talents and curiosity, and strive to develop all of them as they construct a deeper sense of self and purpose. In service of the mission, we are committed to delivering on the three essential aspects of what we believe high school should be:
Drew connects what students learn to what's important to them and how to apply that learning to impact the world in a supportive environment that will not just prepare them for college but will equip them with the skills and competencies required of a 21st century global citizen. Our work around anti-racism, equity and inclusion is central to our focus in building the multicultural competencies and empathy to help build a more just world.
Drew becomes a second home for our students where they will explore their independence and feel safe and validated in a welcoming, energetic and diverse community that celebrates their individuality and interests.
Drew's faculty and staff see each student as the individual they are and encourage them to not just use but to amplify their distinct voice as they discover a newfound sense of agency to use what they learn in their life.
Drew School seeks a full-time Social Studies teacher for the 2021-2022 school year. Full-time faculty teach four sections and actively participate in departmental and curricular planning meetings. We seek an educator who employs a variety of pedagogical approaches and who has experience teaching US History and World History. The ideal candidate will have experience teaching a wide range of student abilities. We seek an educator who is familiar with the culture of independent schools and will be a collegial, collaborative, and supportive school community member.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach 4 sections of social studies
- Serve as a student advisor
- Design and lead Experiential Electives
- Lead an Drew Education for Active Lifelong Learning (DEALL) week experience
- Mentor a student club activity
- Maintain high standards of professionalism
- Work in alignment with the mission of Drew School
Ideal Skills and Experience
- B.A. in History or associated field (graduate degree preferred)
- Teaching courses in US and World History
- Knowledge of and experience with recent best practices in history instruction
- Facility with integrated humanities/cross-curricular collaboration
- Curriculum development
- Best practices for teaching students with learning differences
- Differentiates instruction
- Culturally competent and committed to equity and inclusion
- Enjoys working with teenagers
- Self-reflective and growth-minded
- Collaborates with adults and students
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume.
Drew School Mission:
Drew knows and believes in teenagers. We engage each student in a process of intellectual discovery to develop an individual voice, the confidence to express it, and the empathy to understand its impact.
Drew School is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to creating an identity-safe school, where all members of the community find opportunities for belonging and growth. Drew School offers a competitive compensation package. We strongly encourage candidates of color to apply.
Non-Discrimination Policy:Drew School of San Francisco admits students of every race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national and ethnic origin, or handicap to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities of the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, scholarship programs, athletic and other school administered programs.