- Irvine, CA, USA
Health Insurance, Retirement, Disability and Life Insurance, Tuition discounts, paid Vacation & Sick Time and generous paid Holidays
The Office of Strategic Communications leads university branding and communications strategies.
The Social Media & Public Relations Specialist (SMPRS) is responsible for implementing and managing strategic content initiatives that promote brand recognition through authentic engagement, has oversight of CUI social media community managers, and manages content strategy, policy, compliance and training. The SMPRS also monitors and manages online mentions and media relations as a member of the CUI Strategic Communications team.
- Appointed by Associate Vice President of Strategic Communications
- Approved by the Vice President of Advancement, Marketing & Communications
- Reports to the Director of Communications
- Interacts and functions cooperatively with Marketing, Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions staff, Information Technology Services, University Advancement, academic leadership, Student Affairs, and other campus personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily:
- Generates and manages content, including writing and curation of content for the university's media channels (social media accounts, press releases, and website).
- Implements media and social media strategy and tactics for the university.
- Creates, maintains, and executes a content calendar and posting schedule based on strategic goals, business priorities, breaking news, and trending topics.
- Identifies influencers, supporters, media contacts and journalists, while spotting trends.
- Tracks mentions about the university and related topics through social media listening, Google Alerts, etc.
- Provides and reviews analytics, and makes recommendations on strategy, implementation, and creative. Creates performance reports monthly and quarterly as well as by campaign.
- Maintains and updates databases including relevant media contacts and social media information (passwords, /logins, training resources, account master list, social media community manager master list, etc.).
- Manages student social media/public relations intern(s).
- Works with the Strategic Communications staff and university Emergency Operations Command staff on crisis communications needs for the university.
- Develops and manages assignments for external public relations agency/consultant in order to collaboratively generate and monitor earned media.
- Manages university social properties including, but not limited to, sites such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google My Business, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Engage on social media with followers and conversations relevant to the university, moderating comments and establishing community culture and tone.
- Trains CUI social media community managers on university social media guidelines and policies, and upholds university standards with social media managers as they represent the university in their specific areas.
- Shares best practices and aids in developing content strategy with CUI social media community managers.
- Creates visual content for social media including capturing photography and video, creating and editing graphics and video through creative software and apps like Canva, Photoshop, iMovie, etc.
- Serves as a contact for third-party social media partners and vendors to implement new social media tools and best practices to support strategic communications.
- Responsible for planning and budgetary control of social media.
- Must be available to manage social media, media relations, and other responsibilities as needed beyond normal working hours.
- Other duties may be assigned from time to time.
- Empowers, educates, and coaches CUI social media community managers across the university on the use, policies, and guidelines of social media as they work with their particular communities on social media.
- Manage student intern(s).
CELL PHONE STIPEND
Job function requires access to email outside of the office and/or beyond normal scheduled working hours and it is essential for the university that the employee has the ability to receive and send electronic communications such as e-mail and SMS text messages. A university-owned cellular phone and account will be provided for management of social media platforms.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university
- At least 3-4 years related experience and/or training
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent Business Operations Tools (Microsoft Office), Collaboration Tools (Google Apps), Social Media Enterprise Management tools, and CRM tools.
- Extensive experience with social media platforms
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to counsel students and families in the college decision process, including financial concerns
- Creative aptitude
- Ability to be flexible to changing conditions and needs
- Ability to work effectively with and through other people
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work under stressful conditions
- Ability to supervise
- Excellent telecommunication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Capable of instituting office procedures
- Ability to input computer data and evaluate/compare results
- Willing to learn new or additional job related tasks
- Awareness that behavior and dress should be appropriate for the environment of a Christian university
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret university procedures, general information, educational publications, synodical procedures or governmental regulations
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of staff, faculty, administration, students, families, and the general public
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Attitude and Demeanor:
- Be an individual of prayer and Christian maturity
- Exemplify Christian philosophy of the Concordia University Irvine mission statement in all aspects of day-to-day duties and responsibilities assigned to this position
- Communicate warmth, understanding and helpfulness when interacting with students, staff, faculty and the general public
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with all who come into contact with this department
- Exhibit a cheerful, positive, loyal, team-member attitude toward the purposes, programs, policies and goals of the university
- Maintain confidentiality on matters pertaining to this office and the campus as a whole
- Constantly strive to improve performance
Employees are responsible for complete cooperation with all aspects of the safety and health program, including compliance with all rules and regulations and for continuously practicing safety while performing tasks.
Supervisors are responsible for developing proper attitudes toward safety and health in themselves, and in them they supervise, and for ensuring that all operations are performed with the utmost regard for the safety and health of all personnel involved, including themselves.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Repetitive motions using a computer keyboard
- May require rising and sitting repeatedly
- Ability to lift, pull, grasp, stoop and reach to utilize 5-drawer file cabinets
- May require climbing stairs and walking indoors or outdoors to various offices on campus
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!