- Vancouver, WA, USA
- 112000-159000 per year Annual Step Increases, COLA Increases
- Full Time
Medical, Dental, Vision, Public Employee Retirement System, 457 Deferred Comp, Sick (8hrs/mo) & Vacation (8hr/mo). We do not contribute to Social Security.
Clark Regional Emergency Services Agency (CRESA) is a regional public safety agency that provides 911 dispatch, technology services and emergency management for seven cities and Clark county. We are seeking a talented deputy director to join our leadership team.
The Deputy Director of 911 Operations oversees the Agency's 911 Public Safety Communication operations, Training programs and Technical Services related to CAD, CPE Phone and Network Support. The 911 communication center provides 24hr emergency and non-emergency call taking and dispatch services for law enforcement, fire and emergency medical services. The position also works with the development, enforcement and implementation of policies procedures and standards. Incumbent will use independent judgment, initiative, leadership and resourcefulness with operations and technical matters. Work is performed under general direction of CRESA's Director. This Deputy Director of 911 Operations supports and assists the CRESA Director in the overall administration, management, planning, organizing and staffing.
Essential Job Functions
Must be able to perform the following essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Provide effective leadership and direction in the administration of assigned functions and departments
- Manages assigned departments to achieve organizational goals within budget
- Strategically plans short and long term operational and administrative goals and budgets of assigned departments and programs
- Establish and implement 911 public safety communication objectives and priorities
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, job assignments, staff authority and responsibility
- Manages assigned staff including being responsible for hiring, performance management, evaluations and development
- Identify, recommend, develop and implement improvements to program systems and procedures and policy
- Establish and monitor division and program structure, staff assignments, budgets and resources to deliver results
- Coordinates major projects as assigned by the Director
- Oversees and participates in all aspects of employee and labor relations issues, including serving as a chief negotiator for collective bargaining.
- Oversees project management for grants and large or technical projects to ensure schedules and deliverables are completed.
- Prepare and present information including staff reports, requests for proposal, contract language, decision packages
- Provide information, feedback and assistance to other departments, outside agencies, and the public as necessary.
- Attend conferences, conventions or other various meetings and trainings to stay up-to-date on trends in emergency services and technical services, policy and procedures
- Perform sensitive and confidential duties in the course of work or on behalf of the Director
- Participate as an integral member of CRESA's management team
- Represent the Agency in forums such as negotiations, service relationships and public presentations
- Serve as acting Director in the Agency Director's absence, as assigned
- Participate as needed during emergencies, including emergency operations center activations
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with employees, user agencies, the public, etc.
- Serve as CRESA liaison with user agencies, stakeholders and the community regarding dispatch operations
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- At least six years of management experience in public safety, including personnel management, budgeting and strategic planning.
- At least eight years of direct public safety communications experience, spanning a broad variety of services, such as police, fire and medical dispatching and call taking.
- CRESA's specific equipment and/or procedural expertise is not a pre-requisite, though an incumbent must demonstrate sufficient knowledge and understanding of CRESA's operations to come up to speed quickly, understand staff responsibilities, and be an effective resource to staff persons who are technical and subject-matter experts.
- Bachelor's degree in public safety, communications, public administration or a related field. A Master's degree in a related field may substitute for some of the required experience. Additional responsible program management and operations experience may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the educational requirement.
- Successfully pass pre-employment reference and criminal history checks.
- Any combination of education and experience that provides an applicant with knowledge, skill and ability to successfully perform the job will be considered.
Please see the full job description for the complete specific details.
- Application Deadline: until position filled
- Application Screening- (Pass/Fail)
- Candidates who do not meet these qualifications will be notified.
- Initial Interview (In Person or Virtual)- (Pass / Fail) -initial interview screening to verify qualifications, experience and availability.
- Panel Assessment Interview (In Person)- (Scored) -CRESA conducts oral panel interviews that are experiential and behavioral based along with assessment interview to demonstrate knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Optional Final Interview (In Person)- (Pass / Fail) -CRESA may choose to conduct final interviews.
- Conditional Job Offer-Contingent upon successfully passing the post-offer processes may include but not limited to Background Investigation, Criminal Fingerprinting and Psychological Evaluation
- Internal candidates that have previously completed the above may be exempt or waive portions of the conditional offer processes of background investigation and psychological evaluation.
- Background Investigation- (Pass/Fail) - Requires detailed Personal History form and comprehensive background investigation with elements including but not limited to candidate's employment history, education, job and personal references, criminal history, driving record check, etc.F
- Felony convictions are disqualifying
- Verification of Hire Date
- Probation- None, salary positions are at will. CRESA does provide a 6 month probation evaluation.
- Reapplication Process- Applicants removed or withdrawn from the recruitment are eligible to reapply during any future recruitment, unless
- Applicant withdraws during, fails or is removed from Background Investigation. (Ineligible to reapply in future);
- Exceptions to this policy will be made at the Director's discretion.