- 08-Mar-2023 to Until Filled (CST)
- 23000 per year
Starting August 2023 - AmeriCorps College Success Coach - California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo, CA - College of Liberal Arts
DESCRIPTION OF UNIVERSITY AND COLLEGE
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo is a public university in San Luis Obispo County. Cal Poly wants to give students the opportunity to explore this diverse world, embrace new ideas, make new friends, and discover new interests. Cal Poly provides education that is connected to the "real world." That's because knowledge is inextricably linked to the world around us. To learn is to do. To do is to learn. At Cal Poly, each fuels the other.
The College of Liberal Arts (CLA) sees diversity as central to its mission and is committed to fostering an equitable and inclusive environment within the college and university. We value our diversity of complex and intersecting identities, while striving to maintain an environment that is socially just, equitable, respectful, and inclusive.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
College Possible Catalyze places exceptional recent college graduates from all fields of study back on college campuses as College Success Coaches to support lower-income and first-generation students as they navigate the milestones, like course registration and financial aid renewal, and on-campus resources, like academic advising and one-stop service centers, essential to graduating from college. College Success Coaches work full-time alongside the institution's student success staff members and provide one-on-one encouragement and assistance to their students.
At Cal Poly's College of Liberal Arts, we seek to hire recent graduates to serve as College Success Coaches. As members of a national movement, College Possible Success Coaches at Cal Poly will provide targeted, proactive support to foster college success by addressing students' common academic, financial, and personal barriers. Each coach is physically located at Cal Poly's College of Liberal Arts, maintains a full-time presence on campus, and engages in the university environment alongside their students. The positions we are filling right now in the College of Liberal Arts will involve working with men of color and other underrepresented students.
YOUR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As a valued member of the College Possible and Cal Poly community, you will share some or all the responsibilities listed below. If you have not done all these things, that is okay. We don't expect you to come in knowing how to do them and will provide three weeks of training at the beginning of the year to support you. Plus, you will work with the College Possible Catalyze program and the College of Liberal Arts staff every step of the way.
- Communicate with program participants, College Possible members, and staff in person and via email, phone, and other technology tools
- Track and record case notes and program participant milestone completion in Salesforce daily
- Interact daily and work 1:1 with up to 140 students assigned to portfolio
- Collaborate with campus offices across departments and identify resources for student success
- Participate in all online training, orientations, and staff meetings
- Schedule, plan and execute students' events to increase program engagement and visibility of the program on the campus
- Maintain office hours
- Check-in weekly with supervisory staff
- Maintain a professional and courteous office atmosphere
COLLEGE SUCCESS COACH BENEFITS
Benefits of AmeriCorps
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award for up to $6,895 to pay student loans or graduate school expenses or to re-pay undergraduate student loans
- Childcare benefits
- Loan forbearance and interest accrual payments for qualified student loans
- Time accrual towards the U.S. Department of Education's Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- Income-based Loan Repayment Plan (IBR)
- Connection to Employers of National Service upon completion of service
- Connection to Schools of National Service upon completion of service
Benefits of College Possible
- A representative of a national nonprofit organization
- Bi-weekly living stipend, totaling $23,000 for 12 months of service
- Health insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- At least 20 days of vacation
- Workers' compensation
- All expenses paid travel to College Possible headquarters for annual retreat
- College Possible / AmeriCorps apparel and gear
- Professional skills and career development opportunities that transitions into any profession after you leave College Possible
Benefits of California Polytechnic State University and the College of Liberal Arts
- On campus meal plan
- Free rec center membership
- $250 monthly housing stipend
- Gaining skills in community organizing
- Interfacing with higher education professionals and institutions
- Beginning your career with valuable experience, leadership, and problem-solving skills
- Developing leadership, work and life-skills that translate directly into job experience
- Strengthening communities and transforming lives
- Gaining professional development in areas related to diversity, equity, and inclusion
Four-year college degree required. Ideal applicants will have demonstrated leadership skills, a high level of achievement in academics, employment and/or other pursuits, a commitment to the mission of College Possible, and are ideally alumni of the institution where they are applying to serve. Applicants of all academic majors are welcome to apply. A successful candidate will have experience with and/or knowledge about working with students who identify as men of color or other represented groups.
Please visit www.CollegePossible.org/serve, to learn more about College Possible and serving with our organization!
College Possible is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals and conduct all possible activities in fully accessible settings. Alternative application formats are available upon request by contacting email@example.com.