- 08-Sep-2021 to 31-Dec-2021 (CST)
- Lyndhurst, OH, USA
At the Y, our mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all. Join our Greater Cleveland YMCA team in living our cause and helping to provide quality, safe and healthy programs and services in our community.
The Hillcrest Family YMCA is in immediate need of Swim Instructors. The Swim instructor plans and delivers effective swim instruction, using the Y of the USA swim curriculum, in a designated program area for YMCA members, program participants and non-members. A successful candidate must be knowledgeable, punctual, professional, and show concern for class participants.
Hours: 15 -20 hours a week
- Demonstrate skills and explain them clearly to class members. Instructs at the appropriate skill and age level for the class.
- Plans each teaching class in advance, prepares to start class on time, with proper material, equipment, and in proper attire.
- Observes all YMCA attendance and safety rules when teaching classes.
- Starts and end class on time.
- Maintain positive rapport with participants and parents of participants.
- Conducts all classes in accordance with YMCA of Cleveland standards and guidelines.
- Is responsible for the safety of all participants, knows emergency procedures and the location of all emergency equipment.
- Informs students of class cancellations and make ups in a timely manner; also is responsible, for obtaining a qualified substitute as necessary.
- Must be able to evaluate swimming skills and place participants in appropriate class.
- Conducts regular/ frequent sanitation of all equipment (rescue and member used), and assigned areas as outlined by the employer and supervisor.
- Demonstrated public speaking ability and customer service orientation towards individuals and groups of people.
- At least 6 months of instructor experience in designated aquatic area preferred
- CPR and First Aid certification and Safety training required within (3 months) 90 days of hire.
- Current swim instructor (WSI or YSI) certification preferred prior to hire. Or must be obtained within the first (3 months) 90 days of hire.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The ability to perform frequent amounts of sitting, standing, swimming, walking, reaching, stooping, kneeling, bending and or instructing others for the duration of their shift.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to noisy.
- Work environment may be slippery and wet often
- May be required to work outside and on occasion may encounter inclement weather.