- Katy, TX, USA
- Full Time
Medical, Dental, Vision, Retirement, Life/ADD, STD/LTD, Paid Time Off
SUMMARY: Maintains GIS database structure and assists with development and implementation of GIS standards for the City of Katy.
- Create maps and graphs using GIS software and related equipment.
- Conduct research to locate and obtain databases.
- Gather, analyze and integrate spatial data into existing GIS.
- Compile geographic data from variety of sources including censuses, field observation, satellite imagery, aerial photographs and existing maps.
- Prepare metadata and other documentation.
- Move, copy, delete and add files, drawings and maps to output reports in hard copy transfer.
- Enter new map data through direct input of coordinate information using the principles of cartography including coordinate systems, longitude, latitude, elevation, topography, and map scales.
- Operate and maintain GIS system hardware, software, plotter, copier and other misc. equipment.
- Answer questions regarding maps, subdivisions, streets, and related information to the public as well as to other City departments.
- Assist in the preparation of reports
- Participates as a member of the Emergency Management Team.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education, Training, and Experience Guidelines:
- Associate Degree in Geography, Computer Science, or related field AND three (3) years of professional level GIS experience; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Proficient use of ESRI ArcGIS software (ArcView, ArcEditor and ArcInfo)
- Familiar with industry-specific terminology such as Water/Wastewater, Building Permits or Planning and Zoning.
- Solving operational and procedural problems related to GIS applications.
- Collecting data and converting it to GIS applications.
- Preparing written documents clearly and organized; documentation of processes
- Microsoft Windows operating systems (desktop and server) and supporting office programs and use of standard modern office equipment.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid State of Texas driver's license.
- GISP (Geographic Information Systems Professional) or ESRI Certificate preferred.
- Municipal experience preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
- Work will be performed in a normal office environment or in extreme temperatures and weather conditions; dirty and dusty conditions
- Ability to lift 10 pounds and occasionally up to 30 pounds
The City of Katy is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities and Amendments Act and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.