- Katy, TX, USA
- $58,909 - $88,365
- Full Time
Medical, Dental, Vision, Retirement, STD/LTD, Life/ADD, Paid Time Off
SUMMARY: Monitors, implements and enforces all applicable regulatory guidelines, federal, state and local ordinances relating to building and related codes. Oversees the City's inspection and permitting activities and floodplain management.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates departmental plans; meets with management staff to identify and resolve issues.
- Selects, trains, motivates, and evaluates department personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with staff to correct deficiencies; implements discipline and termination procedures.
- Oversees and participates in the development and implementation of the Department budget; approves and forecasts funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; approves expenditures and implements budgetary adjustments as needed.
- Reviews and approves residential plans; reviews and approves all sign permit applications;
- Responsible for all services and activities of the Building Inspection and Code Compliance functions including administering, interpreting and enforcing City building and environmental codes, ordinances and regulations
- Enforces a variety of codes, including: International Building Code, Mechanical Code, Plumbing Code and National Electrical Code, and local codes such as sprinkling, nuisance, clearing, grading, filling, and zoning and issues correction notices and citations.
- Provides technical building code advice to supervisors, boards, commissions, civic groups, city council and the general public
- residential owners, contractors and developers
- Reviews current trends and developments in the field of construction, and prepares revisions to codes, ordinances and local regulations.
- Responds to and resolves complex and sensitive customer service issues, either personally, by telephone or in writing and maintains records and documents of customer service issues and resolutions.
- Oversees the permitting function, including application, fee assessment and collection, permit issuance, inspections, and occupancy
- Reviews proposed subdivisions for code compliance
- Performs the duties of a plans examiner or inspector, as needed
- Oversees Floodplain Management
- Participates in City-wide emergency response as necessary.
- Performs other related duties as required
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
Bachelor's Degree in Construction Science, Construction Administration, engineering, architecture or other related field or ten (10) years of increasingly responsible experience in building inspection, code enforcement, plan review and/or construction experience including five (5) years of supervisory responsibility.
- Departmental operations, processes, and procedures
- Applicable State, Federal, and local laws, regulations, codes, and ordinances.
- Service activities of public works and permits departments.
- Construction techniques involving streets and roads, drainage systems, flood control, water and sanitary systems, and building and construction inspections.
- Principles and practices of program management, development, and implementation.
- Customer service principles and practices
- Identifying and responding to community issues, concerns, and needs.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Developing and administering goals, objectives, and procedures.
- Communicating clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Developing and implementing department-wide budgets.
- Analyzing and meeting operational needs.
- Operating a personal computer, standard software, and some specialized software.
- Reading and interpreting blueprints and plans; interpreting construction documents and applying applicable code requirements and permitting processes
- Recognizing problems, identifying alternative solutions and making appropriate recommendations
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid State driver's license.
- International Building Code or International Residential code certification.
- ICC Certified Building Official Certification.
- ICC Electrical Examiner, ICC Mechanical Inspector, ICC Plans Examiner, ICC C.B.O. Certificates preferred.
- Emergency Management certification: ICS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, 800, within one year of employment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in a standard office environment and at various inspection sites. May be exposed to some unsafe structures, unsafe electrical installations, and high voltage. Requires safety procedures to be followed, including the use of personal protective equipment.