- 30-Jan-2023 to Until Filled (CST)
- Solid Waste Management -Dept #6500
- Edinburg, TX, USA
- 17.34 per hour
- Full Time
The City offers excellent benefits including paid holidays, vacation/sick leave, health, dental, life, and disability insurance, retirement system and optional deferred compensation programs.
Equipment Operator II / CDL
City of Edinburg in Edinburg, TX is actively seeking a dedicated Equipment Operator II / CDL to operate a variety of light to heavy equipment involved in construction and industrial maintenance projects. Are you seeking engaging work? Do you wish to advance your career in machinery operation? Does working for a rapidly growing city sound appealing to you? If so, please continue reading!
This machinery operator position earns competitive pay of $ 17.34/hr. We provide great benefits and perks, including paid holidays, paid time off (PTO), life & ADD insurance, a retirement plan with a 7% employee contribution and a city match of 2 to 1, 100%-paid medical and 100%-paid dental with optional dependent coverage, workers compensation, and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Additionally, we offer our employees an employee assistance program (EAP), a healthy lifestyle program, and access to Active Edinburg fitness centers. If this sounds like the right opportunity to work with construction equipment and industrial maintenance for you, apply to join our team today!
ABOUT CITY OF EDINBURG
Edinburg is the fastest growing city in the Rio Grande Valley, with a 23% growth rate since 2010, and is among the top five fastest-growing cities in the state. It has been recognized as an all-American city three times by the National Civic League, placing it among a handful of outstanding communities in the nation. Our wonderful city has exceptional entertainment, arts & culture, recreation, and education, which makes it a great place to work.
Our employees share our dedication to the city, which is why we like to show them our appreciation for their commitment. We do this by providing competitive compensation, exceptional PTO opportunities, and other great benefits to help them lead healthy, productive lives. We care about people, and that includes both our residents and employees!
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF AN EQUIPMENT OPERATOR II / CDL
As a machinery operator, you spend your day working directly with light to heavy equipment. Your work typically involves coordinating the maintenance and operation of city equipment with minimal supervision. Construction and industrial maintenance projects generally fill up your day, and these involve the use of rollers, graders, backhoes, front-end loaders, forklifts, dump trucks, or bulldozers. Your job is essential to the city, and you perform maintenance on designated streets, utility systems, landfills, and including providing trash & debris collections services for residents while safely following city policies and procedures. You are constantly on your toes and ready for any new and unexpected challenges that may arise in the city. This can include emergency situations such as floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, accidents, and hazardous material spills.
When you aren't out in the city, you generally are back at the office filling out daily reports and other forms for machinery use, service requests, and inventory control. You also ensure that the equipment is safe to use by performing preventative maintenance inspections and proper minor repairs. You enjoy being helpful and have no problem providing assistance and support to other divisions within the department as needed. The city needs someone like you with skills in operating construction equipment and performing industrial maintenance, and you find genuine enjoyment in what you do!
QUALIFICATIONS FOR AN EQUIPMENT OPERATOR II / CDL
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 3 years of experience with light, medium, and heavy equipment or vehicles
- Must have a current and valid class "B" commercial driver's license (CDL) with an air brake endorsement from the Texas Department of Public Safety
- Ability to pass a pre-employment drug test administered by the City of Edinburg at the city's expense
- Have a satisfactory driving record and be insurable by the city's current insurance carrier
- Solid Waste Management: an applicant may qualify for employment under this department at the Edinburg Landfill if the applicant possess a certificate of "Successful Completion" or other related certification from an accredited school, training institute for the operation of Heavy Equipment ( i.e. equipment with an operating weight of over 66,000 lbs) or have a minimum of 2 years of verifiable Heavy Equipment Operations experience; while under employment the employee must then apply and obtain a minimum of a Class "B" CDL from the Texas Department of Public Safety within six (6) months of initial employment with the Department.
- The applicant must present a CLP within the first 60-90 day probationary period; however, the applicant must complete their ELDT training and receive their CDL prior to the end of the 6 month period.
- Hazardous Materials Endorsement from the Texas Department of Public Safety preferred.
- Tank Endorsement from the Texas Department of Public Safety
- Achieve TCEQ Class "D" Water Distribution License within first (1) year of employment.
- Achieve TCEQ Class "C" Water Distribution License within three (3) years of employment.
Are you someone who prefers hands-on work? Do you have excellent oral and written communication skills? Are you attentive to detail? Do you enjoy working as part of a team? Is dependability one of your strengths? If yes, you might just be perfect for this Equipment Operator II / CDL job!
READY TO JOIN OUR TEAM?
If you feel that you have the right skills in construction equipment and industrial maintenance to succeed as our Equipment Operator II / CDL, apply now using our mobile-friendly application.