- $14.06 per hour
- Full Time
- PG14 $29,244 - $44,262
Operates equipment; and performs manual labor required in the construction and maintenance of streets and drainage systems.
Starting Pay: $14.06 per hour
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Performs general labor as assigned in the construction, repair, or maintenance of streets, alleys, and drainage systems;
- Drives dump trucks to haul materials to and from work sites;
- Operates equipment engaged in the construction and maintenance of streets and drainage systems, including dump truck, water truck, and tractor with sweeper;
- Operates mowers, tractor with shredder, weed-eaters, chain saws, and other equipment used in clearing and maintaining ditches;
- Maintains equipment in proper working condition, including checking oil, water, fuel, tires, and hydraulic system, and making appropriate adjustments;
- Loads, transports, and unloads construction materials and small equipment;
- Performs work with manual tools to patch, tamp, pack, and level hot mix, dirt, or other materials during road repair; and
- Manages traffic at job sites, including putting up barricades and flagging traffic.
This is a non-supervisory position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High school graduation or its equivalent; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Methods, practices, equipment, and materials used in the maintenance of roadways; and safe operation of the equipment used and of the provisions of the Texas Motor Vehicle Code relating to operation of heavy and light motorized equipment.
Operate equipment used in street construction and maintenance; service and make minor repairs on equipment; apply safety standards to prevent hazards; understand and follow instructions; tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the general public; and maintain Texas driver's license applicable to job responsibilities.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid Class B Texas commercial driver's license (CDL) or ability to obtain a Class B CDL within 90 days of hire date.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to engage in moderate to strenuous physical activity; work with tools and equipment; drive vehicles or equipment; perform repetitive motions; perform work involving the entire body; and stand, walk, and balance on all types of surfaces. The employee is required to bend from the waist, crouch or squat, kneel, sit, crawl, climb, twist, and reach with arms and hands. The employee is required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 100 pounds, such as materials and equipment, and must carry, push, and pull materials. The employee must be able to see clearly, with or without vision correction, in close situations, at a distance, and peripherally, and be able to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment requires that the employee exercise caution at all times and adhere to safety standards to avoid the risk of personal injury. The employee is exposed to outdoor elements, loud noises, vibrations, and respiratory hazards such as dust, gases, and chemicals. The employee frequently is required to work under time pressures to meet deadlines, to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, and to work closely with others as part of a team. The work environment is noisy and distracting.