- Alice, TX, USA
- Full Time
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, EAP, Retirement
Under supervision, patrol and provide enforcement, detection and crime prevention, under the laws of the City, State, and United States. Carry out special assignments in the field or police work; do related work as required; provide reports of assignments and/or related work as needed.
- Clear and valid Texas driver's license without restrictions, except "A"
- High School diploma. G.E.D. is acceptable if augmented with 15 college credit hours
- U.S. citizen
- At least 21 years of age but not over 44 years of age at time of hire
- Texas Basic Peace Officer License or currently attending a Texas Law Enforcement Academy
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to understand and follow detailed written or verbal instructions
- Ability to perform basic math
- Perform duties acceptably after long hours (over 24) without sleep during emergency situations
- Ability to communicate effectively with others
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to correctly prioritize workload
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- 1 + years preferred
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Ensure that daily activity reports and offense reports are complete and submitted timely.
- Keep abreast of new laws and events affecting law enforcement.
- Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties.
- Attend departmental and division meetings as required.
- Complete all reports and paperwork promptly, legibly, accurately, thoroughly, neatly and with correct grammar and spelling.
- Keep work area clean and neat.
- Attend all courts as scheduled or requested.
- Follow proper chain of command.
- Arrive at work on time; work in assigned area (beat).
- Behave in manner conducive to high morals; express enthusiasm for work assignments, environment, personnel, and management.
- Attend training seminars when scheduled to be in attendance.
- Assist other divisions within the Department as may be needed.
- Make ethical decisions that conform to applicable laws Departmental Policy, regulations, etc., without supervision when appropriate.
- Work well with the public and co-workers daily, communicating effectively, maintaining alertness, composure, helpful attitude and professionalism in all circumstances, including stress, verbal abuse, criticism and/or other adverse conditions.
- Follow a chain of command and instruction, receptive to supervision.
Police Duties (condensed):
- Demonstrate competent weapons proficiency.
- Perform defense and/or other hand-to-hand combat tactics.
- Physically restrain individuals in the following circumstance; mutual combat, pushing or shoving (crowd control), those under the influence of hallucinate or other behavior altering drugs, those suffering from psychosis or other violent mental disorder.
- Conduct foot patrol.
- Participate in stakeouts in confining or uncomfortable areas. e.g. in trees, bushes, on ledges etc.
- Engage in safe high-speed driving while pursuing suspects or responding to calls.
- Communicate effectively via police radio, telephone and in person, with citizens, co-workers, supervisor, and instructors, including person of diverse backgrounds, without bias or prejudice.
- Display self-confidence and authoritative manner, with conduct reflecting favorably on the Department.
- Must not pose a threat to the health and safety of self or others.
- Provide traffic control as needed.
- Recognize, identify and preserve crime scenes.
- Mediate civil disputes and advise citizens.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Tools/Equipment Used: Multiple caliber and grades of weapons, OC Spray, baton, taser, hand/leg cuffs, handheld radio, cellphone, assigned police gear, patrol unit, first aid equipment
- Posture: Prolonged sitting; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
- Motion: Frequent walking, standing; occasional running, jumping, sprinting, climbing
- Lifting: Occasional lifting and carrying (less than 60 pounds), less frequent lifting /dragging over 100 lbs.
- Environment: May work prolonged or irregular hours, any day of the week for multiple days consecutively
- Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under pressure; work with frequent interruption; may be subject to adverse confrontations and other negative conditions, work around mentally disturbed, inebriated, under the influence, hostile, and violent individuals, make rapid, competent judgment call in negative situations
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.