- Humanities & Sciences
- Cincinnati, OH, USA
- Part Time
Advisor (Part-time) ~ Early Childhood Education Program
Overview The Academic Advisor for the Early Childhood Department advises pre-admit and admitted students. Advisors are responsible for providing students with information about program specific requirements and policies, connecting students with appropriate resources to clarify their interests, aptitudes and goals, coaching students in decision making skills, transitioning students from academic foundation courses to their program courses, monitoring academic performance and intervening with students during academic difficulty. In addition, advisors educate students about the nature of their academic path, assist in programmatic events for their students, and provide information and advice regarding transfer to a four year institution.
- Collaborate with Early Childhood Education Chair, faculty and administration to provide assistance to an ethnically, culturally, socially and economically diverse student population.
- Assess assigned students' stage of development and promote growth by assisting students in establishing realistic and attainable academic and career goals.
- Provide advice in keeping with the students' interests, values, abilities and major exploratory interests.
- Interpret and explain college and programmatic policies and procedures.
- Monitor academic progress of students toward degree and/or completion of educational goals to identify current and potential needs or problem areas (i.e. study skills, tutoring) and refer students to appropriate campus resources for assistance, such as Student Activities, Disability Services, etc.
- Present, participate, and/or facilitate various campus activities and events, such as new student orientation, parent/student night, and others.
- Participate as a member of a work team in providing information and advising on academic requirements, programs and services to current students.
- Encourage students to engage in opportunities across campus relevant to their needs.
- Check various forms for accuracy such as degree audits, financial aid evaluation form, etc.
- Document student interactions and maintain student files, databases, and records in accordance with federal guidelines (FERPA.).
- Utilize technology, such as software packages and student information systems, to accurately assess and monitor student progress and needs.
- Assist in the Early Childhood Department as needed with other duties when not seeing students for advising.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, plus at least two years working directly with students.
- Demonstrated understanding of student development theory and the purpose and advantages of the technical and general education, academic transfer, experiential education and workforce development programs in the community college environment.
- At least two years of experience working with ethnically, culturally, socially and economically diverse student populations.
- Demonstrated communication, organizational, technological and collaborative skills.
- Availability to work evening and/or weekend hours as may be needed.
Master's degree from an accredited institution.
Reports To: Associate Dean of Humanities and Sciences
Hourly rate: $25/hour
Contract Affiliation: Non-Bargaining
Status: Part-time, not to exceed 29 hours per week
This part-time position is eligible for the State Employee Retirement System (SERS) for which the employee's 10% contribution is matched by the College at 14% of earnings, or as otherwise statutorily required. This position will also be provided free on-campus parking.
Equal Opportunity Employer ~ Committed to Creating a Diverse and Inclusive Work Environment Cincinnati State Technical and Community College, as well as its individual academic divisions, is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all its activities and programs, including employment and promotion. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual-orientation, age, physical disabilities, veteran or marital status. Cincinnati State is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!