- Business Technologies
- Cincinnati, OH, USA
- Part Time
Academic Advisor Pre-Pathway, Business Technologies (Part-Time)
Academic Advisors are responsible for providing students with information about requirements and academic policies, connecting students with appropriate resources to clarify their interests, aptitudes and goals. Pre-pathway advisors work with students whose academic skills need refreshing or developing in order to qualify for admission. The advisors serve as guides, connecting students to internal and external support services to prepare students to take courses at the college. In addition, Academic Advisors assist with and support College recruitment, enrollment, and program events.
- Collaborates with administrators, faculty and staff to provide assistance to an ethnically, culturally, socially and economically diverse student population.
- Orients Pre-pathway students to the demands of college curriculum.
- Works closely with academic support services such as the Writing Center, Math Center, Tutoring Center, and TRiO to prepare students to improve their course placement.
- Connects students to their pathway advisors and/or Program chairs once they qualify for admission.
- Provides encouragement and support to students struggling with academic challenges.
- Within his/her assigned Division, the Academic Advisor provides information and advising of academic requirements, programs and services to prospective, incoming and current students.
- Provides advice in keeping with the students' interests, values, abilities and program major.
- Monitors the academic progress of students toward degrees, certifications, and/or educational goals to identify current and potential needs or problem areas (i.e. study skills, tutoring) and refers students to appropriate campus resources for assistance.
- Presents, participates, and/or facilitates various campus activities and events as well as attends and/or engages with various members of the campus community.
- Encourages students to engage in opportunities across campus relevant to their needs.
- Interprets and explains college policies and procedures.
- Participates in new student orientation advising sessions and presents academic information to new students and parents during these orientations.
- Provides updates to student files, databases, and records in accordance with federal guidelines (FERPA) and documents interactions with students, using systems as prescribed such as StarFish.
- Supports data collection and analysis.
- Assesses the development and personal growth of students in establishing realistic and attainable academic and career goals.
- Assist, as needed, in advising students college-wide, including non-degree seeking students.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Demonstrated understanding of student development theory and the purpose and advantages of the technical and general education, academic transfer, experiential and cooperative education and workforce development programs in the community college environment.
- Strong organizational, technological, and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and advising management software such as Starfish.
- The ability to work collaboratively within the divisional team of experts while maintaining the primary focus on student success.
- Availability to work occasional weekends and evenings.
- Master's degree from an accredited institution.
- Experience in Adult Basic Education and/or Developmental Education
- Two years college-level academic advising and/or coaching with ethnically, culturally, socially and economically diverse student populations.
Reports to: Dean/Associate Dean
Hourly Rate: $25.00/hr.
Contractual Affiliation: Non-Bargaining
Exempt Classification: Non-Exempt
Status: Part-time, not to exceed 29 hours per week
Equal Opportunity Employer ~ Committed to Creating a Diverse and Inclusive Work Environment
Cincinnati State Technical and Community College, as well as its individual academic divisions, is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all its activities and programs, including employment and promotion. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual-orientation, age, physical disabilities, veteran or marital status.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!