Interpreter/Mentor - Interpreter Training Program
Overview Interpret and transliterate for Deaf students, faculty, staff and community members in a variety of settings, and mentor practicum students on and off-campus as part of Cincinnati State's Interpreter Training Program (ITP). There are two distinct roles for which an Interpreter may be hired and assigned, based on experience and college needs. Hired candidates are not guaranteed assignment of both roles.
Interpreter Responsibilities Interpret for Deaf students and Deaf Instructors in the following settings.
- College classes at Cincinnati State's campuses.
- College meetings, ceremonies and special events.
- Cooperative education placements both on and off-campus.
- Student tutoring sessions, campus tours, placement testing center, and college information sessions.
- ITP's Live Labs.
Mentor Responsibilities Mentor students at their practicum placements on and off campus.
- Observe student's professionalism and interpreting skills in the practicum setting. If one student, team interpret with an individual student and act as the language model; if more than two students at practicum site, then observe only.
- Provide feedback to students on their professionalism and interpreting skills after each practicum observation.
- Provide ITP Chair information about students' progress based on observations of their professionalism and interpreting skills.
For Interpreter and Mentor positions:
- Associate's degree in Interpreter Training from an accredited institution of higher education required.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings.
- Must be willing to work on and off campus.
In addition, for Mentors 2 years minimum experience in interpreting.
- Certified interpreter/transliterator.
- Five years' experience in the field of interpreting.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Willingness and ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to interact positively with the public.
- Able to maintain a positive attitude.
Position available: Varies, as needed by semester
Compensation: Minimum rate is $23.00/hr.
Status: Part time (hours vary by need)
Contractual Affiliation: Non-Bargaining
Exempt Classification: Non-Exempt
Equal Opportunity Employer- Committed to Creating a Diverse and Inclusive Work Environment
Cincinnati State Technical and Community College, as well as its individual academic divisions, is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all its activities and programs, including employment and promotion. Cincinnati State does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national, or ethnic origin, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual-orientation, age, physical disabilities, veteran or marital status.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!