Adjunct - Culinary and Food Science (CFS)
The Midwest Culinary Institute (MCI) at Cincinnati State invites candidates that are fully committed to the mission and values of Cincinnati State Technical and Community College to apply for the position of Adjunct Culinary and Food Science (CFS). Responsibilities will include instructing students and providing relevant class/lab experiences. Instruction may take place in a classroom or via distance or online learning web portals.
Adjunct Faculty Essential Responsibilities:
- Adequately prepare all course materials and lessons. Note preparation time will vary based on instructor experience in teaching that course.
- Deliver learning-centered instruction by establishing a classroom environment conducive to learning.
- Provide students with clear course expectations, evaluations and timelines through an approved, standardized syllabus.
- Ensure that students are complying with dress code and lab policies as well as completing all course assignments and course preparation.
- Administer and grade quizzes and exams to assess achievement.
- Ensure that lab space is left in a clean, organized fashion according to lab policies.
- Ensure course and program learning outcomes are delivered as defined by the syllabus.
- Maintain an electronic record of each student's progress and have it accessible to the students.
- Complete grade books, final grade sheets, learning assessments and final exam assessments on a timely basis.
- Complete as directed all end-of-term responsibilities, including submission of final grades, copies of exams, attendance records, and all other designated materials to the Academic Office.
- Consult with the program chair, CFS faculty, and/or other appropriate College personnel on questions or issues involving course curricula, instructional strategies, and College policies and procedures.
- Respond to requests (e.g., from students, academic area chairs, department heads, committee chairs, Records Office) in a timely and thorough manner.
- Must meet one of the following qualifications:
- Master's degree in applicable disciplines such as Food Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, and Agricultural Science.
- An equivalent combination of education and mentored experience that is at least equal to the above.
- Minimum of five (5) years of work experience in the food industry.
- In-depth industry experience of the subject area to be taught with demonstrated competencies and achievements that are relevant to the subject matter.
- Ability to apply principles of Food Science, Culinology® and Culinary Arts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and a strong desire to teach.
- Professional conduct that includes integrity, dependability and accountability, and the ability to work collaboratively.
- PhD degree in applicable disciplines such as Food Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, and Agricultural Science.
- Certification as a Certified Research Chef (CRC®) or Certified Culinary Scientist (CCS®) by the Research Chefs Association (RCA), or Certified Food Scientist (CFS) by the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT).
- Current or previous leadership roles in related professional associations such as the Research Chefs Association (RCA), Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), Ohio Valley Institute of Food Technologists (OVIFT), or other food and flavor organizations.
- Previous higher education teaching experience in a similar culinary and food science program.
- Previous experience in coaching student competition teams in a similar culinary and food science program.
- Previous experience in course development in in a similar culinary and food science program.
- Five (5) years work experience in the subject matter of instruction.
- Experience with Blackboard or other learning management systems.
- Serves as a role model for the students.
- Full commitment to the mission and values of Cincinnati State Technical and Community College.
- Utilizes constructive feedback as an opportunity for growth and handles conflict and criticism effectively.
- Ability to create a positive learning environment that is respectful and promotes the interests of students first, while setting appropriate expectations for student growth and success.
- Ability to develop a professional rapport with diverse school/campus constituents.
- Ability to fulfill duties without continued direct supervision.
- Ability to learn from students' participation, demonstrates fair and consistent behavior in all matters, and shows compassion without being ineffectual.
- Desire to contribute and assist with outreach initiatives to advance the Culinary and Food Science program.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse backgrounds of community college students.
- Experience working with individuals from diverse academic backgrounds and life experiences.
Position Available: Varies by semester
Compensation: $550 per contact hour
Contractual Affiliation: N/A
Exempt Classification: Non-Exempt
Candidate notification: Please note that due to the high volume of candidates applying for adjunct positions, we will only follow up with candidates who are being considered for an interview. Please be assured that we will keep your resume on file.
Equal Opportunity Employer ~ Committed to Creating a Diverse and Inclusive Work Environment
Cincinnati State Technical and Community College, as well as its individual academic divisions, is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all its activities and programs, including employment and promotion. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual-orientation, age, physical disabilities, veteran or marital status.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!