- Adjunct - Business Technologies
- Cincinnati, OH, USA
- Part Time
Cincinnati State Technical and Community College invites candidates that are fully committed to the mission and values of the Midwest Culinary Institute at Cincinnati State Technical and Community College to apply for the position of Adjunct Pastry Instructor. This position requires teaching classroom laboratory and online instruction in pastry arts.
For the Fall 2021 semester, this candidate would teach Culinary Baking. This course is scheduled to run one day per week during the afternoon/evening. This position is located in the Business Technologies Division and the Midwest Culinary Institute.
Adjunct Faculty Essential Responsibilities
- Deliver learning-centered instruction by establishing a classroom environment conducive to learning and student involvement as well as effectively planning and preparing for classes and student success.
- Adequately prepare all course materials and lessons. Note preparation time will vary based on instructor experience in teaching that course.
- Provide each student with clear course expectations, evaluations and timelines through carefully written topical outlines and approved, standardized syllabus.
- Provide interesting and relevant assignments for students that demonstrate learning outcomes in a real-life setting.
- Suitably challenge, engage, serve and communicate with students to encourage their participation and learning while maintaining mutual value and respect.
- Complete grade books, final grade sheets, learning assessments and final exam assessments on a timely basis.
- Ensure course and program learning outcomes are delivered as defined by the syllabus.
- Maintain a paper or electronic record (i.e., spreadsheet or grade book) of each student's progress and make it available upon request by students and/or appropriate College personnel.
- Facilitate meaningful learning of the course competencies in the curriculum and proactively support all facets of the learning environment.
- Promote student success by showing flexibility in style and work schedule as well as exhibit a passion for teaching and students and engage students in the learning process.
- Design, administer, and grade examinations to assess achievement of course objectives as identified in the syllabus and as approved by the Academic Dean.
- Complete as directed all end of semester responsibilities, including submission of final grades, copies of exams, attendance records, and all other designated materials to the Academic Office.
- Consult with the academic program chair or other appropriate College personnel on questions or issues involving course curricula, instructional strategies, and College policies and procedures.
- Respond to requests (e.g., from students, academic area chairs, department heads, committee chairs, Records Office) in a timely and thorough manner.
- Associates Degree in pastry or culinary arts.
- Three years' industry experience in pastry arts.
- The following skills are needed:
- Making breads
- Making cookies
- Producing pies and tarts
- Working with puff pastry
- Producing and troubleshooting pate a choux
- Making cakes from scratch
- Decorating whole cakes, including piping techniques
- Producing icings for cakes
- Making mousse using varied methods
- Understanding and producing meringue
- Understanding and implementing plated desserts
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to act effectively as a member of a team.
- Ability to interact successfully with academic as well as business and regulatory personnel.
- Ability to work primarily evening/night hours.
- Bachelor's Degree in Pastry, Culinary Arts, Hospitality, Business, or related degree.
- Certified Working Pastry Chef Credential.
- Previous teaching experience in an academic environment.
- 5 years' industry or business applied experience in pastry or culinary field.
- Experience with on-line teaching and/or instruction in higher education.
- Experience working with students from diverse academic backgrounds and life experiences.
- Ability to use diverse methods of classroom technology, and innovative instructional/academic support systems and programs.
- Serve as a role model for MCI students.
- Exhibit strong communication skills and serve as a role model for students in this area.
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of Cincinnati State Technical and Community College.
- Demonstrate success and commitment as a team player.
- Utilize constructive feedback as an opportunity for growth and handle conflict and criticism effectively.
- Ability to create a positive learning environment that is respectful and promotes the interests of students first, while setting appropriate expectations for student growth and success.
- Demonstrated time management and detail-oriented skills.
- Computer based software, analytical, and report writing skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to meet frequently occurring deadlines.
- Ability to develop a professional rapport with diverse school/campus constituents.
- Ability to develop and complete projects without continued direct supervision.
- Ability to learn from students' participation, demonstrates fair and consistent behavior in all matters, and show compassion without being ineffectual.
Details Position Available: Varies by semester Compensation: $550 per contact hour for new adjuncts Contractual Affiliation: N/A Exempt Classification: Non-Exempt Status: Part time Candidate notification: Please note that due to the high volume of candidates applying for adjunct positions, we will only follow up with candidates who are being considered for an interview. Please be assured that we will keep your resume on file. EEOC STATEMENT Cincinnati State Technical and Community College, as well as its individual academic divisions, is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all its activities and programs, including employment and promotion. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual-orientation, age, physical disabilities, veteran or marital status. Cincinnati State is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!