After School Teacher
Make a positive difference in the lives of elementary school children by teaching them to play chess!
Magnus Chess Academy has taught chess to nearly 100,000 children in our 16-year history, and we are the official chess academy of Magnus Carlsen, the World Chess Champion! We provide the curriculum and as much paid chess training as you need. Come join us!
You will be a great fit if you:
- Want to work with children (ages 5-11).
- Want to play chess! You don't have to be a master-level player, but you do need interest and enthusiasm.
- Are available to work part-time during "after-school" hours beginning in the fall
- Experience as a camp counselor, tutor, teacher, coach, instructor, or in preschool or daycare is a plus!
- Are comfortable driving and have a flexible schedule, for example, an Uber or Lyft driver, a student, or a retired person looking for a part-time job.
You will receive thorough, paid training on how to help children learn chess.
Here's a sample schedule of how your day might look:
- 2:45pm - Arrive at school, check in, set up
- 3:00pm - Kids arrive, you teach lesson
- 3:20pm - Kids play practice games
- 4:00pm - Clean up, parent pickup
Pay: $55-75 per hour long after school club meeting
- Must be available at least 3 weekdays during the school year between 2:30 pm - 5:00 pm
- Have a reliable vehicle for transportation
- Ability to lift 20 lbs of teaching equipment
- COVID-19 vaccination required (rare exemptions are possible)
- Manage a classroom of 10-15 students
- Use our curriculum to demonstrate and effectively communicate all of the basic rules (piece movement, how to castle, check, checkmate, etc) and strategy
- Promote good sportsmanship among students
- Responsibly store and maintain all teaching equipment and materials
- Supervise parent pickup
Guaranteed response within 72 hours of applying.
Magnus Chess Academy is part of the Play Magnus Group, the network of companies founded by World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen! As a teacher with Magnus Chess Academy, you are eligible for some cool perks, including free chess courses to further your own chess learning, staff parties, and more!
Magnus Chess Academy is an EEO employer and is a safe and drug-free workplace.