If you are looking for an organization where your gifts, talents, skills and abilities contribute to a greater cause, join our team.
Our Mission: Ending modern slavery through education, advocacy and empowering survivors of human trafficking.
About Us: The Coalition to Abolish Slavery and Trafficking (CAST) is a Los Angeles-based nonprofit organization that is working to put an end to human trafficking through comprehensive, life-changing services to survivors and a platform to advocate for groundbreaking policies and legislation. Over the past two decades, CAST has supported thousands of survivors through every phase of their journey to freedom- from counseling, to legal resources, to housing, educational and leadership training and mentorship. Through these programs, CAST has helped empower survivors to overcome their traumatic pasts and become leading voices in shaping policy and public awareness to ultimately put an end to the fastest growing criminal enterprise of the 21st century.
CAST offers generous benefits, including medical, life, disability, paid sick/vacation time, and a 403(b) plan. Additionally, we provide you an opportunity to work with a team of committed individuals, where you are supported and given every chance to succeed.
CAST has an immediate opening for a STAFF ATTORNEY in our Los Angeles Office.
Title/Position: Staff Attorney
Department: Legal Services Program
Reports To: Director of Legal Services
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Los Angeles, CA / On-Site
Summary of Position
Under the general supervision of the Director of Legal Services, the Staff Attorney is responsible for supervising a comprehensive legal services program to serve the unique needs of survivors of human trafficking. This highly responsible position manages the development, coordination and delivery of legal services to survivors of human trafficking through broad based collaboration. Additionally, the Staff Attorney builds CAST's pro bono program to amplify CAST legal service capacity. The Staff Attorney may also engage in strategic litigation for systems change. As an integral part of the Clients Services Team, the Staff Attorney promotes the philosophy, services and activities of CAST and meeting the diverse needs of the Los Angeles community. The Staff Attorney demonstrates a commitment to program innovation, particularly in the area of immigrant and victim rights, multi-disciplinary collaborative approaches, and culturally competent programs. Full-time, exempt position.
- Be able to handle a large caseload of trafficked clients
- Develop and implement creative, alternate legal strategies to assist trafficked persons;
- Obtain immigration remedies, specialized criminal relief and civil remedies on behalf of trafficking survivors;
- Provide victim witness representation
- Work collaboratively with social services and shelter staff
- Support advocacy work for policy reform that emphasizes the human rights of trafficked persons, migrants and low wage workers;
- Provide outreach, training, and technical assistance to legal aid organizations, law firms, and law enforcement to assist trafficked clients;
- Recruit, supervise and train pro bono attorneys to assist trafficked clients;
- Recruit and supervise legal fellows or interns;
- Participate in LA Regional Human Trafficking Task Force for human trafficking victims;
- Participate in legal emergency response efforts.
Essential Skills and Requirements
- Demonstrated knowledge of working with multicultural communities and human rights issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, honest communications, positive attitude and ability to carry a professional tone.
- Ability to maintain composure in an organization that regularly provides support to highly traumatized victims.
- Must maintain a good driving record as required by company and DOT regulations, as
- Driver's license must be up to date and driving records reasonable clean'subject to review by Operations or Human Resources
- Provide proof of personal auto insurance coverage - Minimum Policy structure 100/300/50 liability.
- Ability to thrive in a mission driven environment.
- Committed to the mission, vision and values of CAST.
CAST is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Coalition to Abolish Slavery & Trafficking (CAST) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CAST complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Compensation is competitive and our Benefits package includes medical, life, disability, sick/vacation leave, and a 403(b) plan, Supplemental Life & Disability and discounted Pet Insurance. Opportunity to work with a team of committed individuals, and make an impact in your community. Successful candidates will complete pre-employment screening; which includes, but is not limited to a criminal background check.
Applications for this position must be completed via our online careers portal and needs to include a cover letter, resume, and writing sample. Due to the high volume of resumes received, only qualified candidates will be contacted. No Phone Calls Please.