- 28-Jul-2020 to Until Filled (CST)
- Kenosha, WI, USA
- Full Time Employee
Performs manual labor tasks and related work to clean and sanitize public buildings, offices, athletic facilities, and college resident halls. Serves as a dependable and flexible team member to support departmental objectives and meet productivity and quality standards.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Sweep, dust, and wet-mop floors and/or stairs
- Strip, wax, buff, and reseal floors, using brooms, dust mops, vacuums, wet mops, and floor machines
- Disinfect water fountains, urinals, commodes, and sinks every day
- Dust, clean, and polish furniture, counters, shelving, and window or door ledges and casing using cloths and cleaning or polishing solutions
- Dust, wet mop, and wash walls, ceiling, and partitions, using wall brushes, wet mops, cloths, and cleaning solutions
- Clean lavatories, toilets, and bath facilities using cleansers and sanitizing solutions, brushes, cloths, and squeegees
- Dispose of waste paper and other discards; collect and place trash in large containers and dispose in large dumpsters located outside the buildings
- Empty trash receptacles and bag trash for proper disposal
- Lock doors after cleaning
- May change light bulbs if directed
- Maintain adequate supplies for the day-to-day needs to complete the assigned tasks
- Perform safety checks by observing and checking locked doors, temperature readings for heating and air conditioning, and on/off light switches
- Sweep and remove snow and leaves from steps and sidewalks adjacent to the buildings using brooms, snow shovels, and rakes
- Shampoo or spot clean carpet and rugs using a rug shampooing machine, brush, or cloth and cleaning solutions
- Transfer furniture, lamps, accessories, and equipment to clear areas for cleaning by lifting and carrying light to heavy objects
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High School diploma or equivalent G.E.D.
- One year prior full-time relevant experience (such as commercial building maintenance or housekeeping) with demonstrated ability to follow established principles and processes for providing customer and personal service. This includes assessing and evaluating customer needs and meeting quality and service standards.
- Must pass a pre-employment (post-offer) criminal background check
- Demonstrated ability to foster cooperative work environment
- Good listening skills to give full attention to what other people are saying by taking time to
- understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate
- Ability to operate vacuums and other related equipment
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures
- Ability to safely use cleaning equipment and supplies
DESCRIPTION OF NONESSENTIAL DUTIES: n/a
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: n/a
Ability to read and follow general directions in English. Ability to effectively respond to questions from faculty, staff, students and visitors of the organization.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations. Ability to manage conflict among teammates and customers appropriately.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrate ability to listen and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words
- Static Strength Exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, or carry machines and objects
- Trunk Strength Ability to use abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without "giving out" or fatiguing
- Extent Flexibility Ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs
- Considerable physical activity is required: heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds. Physical work is a primary part (more than 70%) of job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards of physical risk, which requires strict adherence to follow basic safety precautions
- Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation, so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home to 150 scholars, 2,600 full-time students, and 400 part-time students. Our rich academic experience equips students with foundational knowledge and skills, preparing graduates to be lifelong learners and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.