- 26-May-2022 to 25-Jun-2022 (PST)
- San Rafael, CA, USA
California Film Institute
2022 Mill Valley Film Festival Guest Services Manager
Location: Hybrid, remote and in-person required Marin County, CA September 26 - October 21, 2022
Status: Seasonal contract
Dates: 8/1 - 10/28/22
To apply, please submit: Your resume including two references + cover letter
About Mill Valley Film Festival:
Founded in 1978, the Mill Valley Film Festival is a world-renowned 11-day event held every October, screening over 200 innovative US and international films for over 60,000 attendees. MVFF has a stellar reputation as a filmmakers' festival with a high-profile, prestigious, non-competitive environment celebrating the best in independent and world cinema in gorgeous Northern California.
Our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Commitment:
We strive for a culture where people sense like they are valued, can bring their whole selves to work free of oppression, injustice, harassment or discrimination, and that they experience belongingness through a common purpose. We are taking steps to ensure that the California Film Institute is a safe and equitable space for staff members, filmmakers and audiences alike by incorporating inclusivity, diversity and accessibility measures into our business plan and tangible KPIs to hold ourselves accountable to serve and engage diverse audiences through our work. We are also working to examine racial justice internally in order to drive self-discovery and best inform how we can change practices and utilize our voice and position within the community.
About the job:
As Guest Services Manager, you'll craft a most excellent and memorable experience for guests attending the Mill Valley Film Festival. Your department is supported by two guest services coordinators and together the department is responsible for coordinating air and ground travel, accommodations, and Festival benefits for filmmakers, panelists, and other guests. You'll lead efforts in ensuring a solid and intentional guest experience - one that welcomes guests with hospitality and has them depart with an effective relationship with the Festival.
In this role, you can expect to grow in your strengths, versatility, and competencies. You can expect an inclusive, eager team who'll support you in it, rise to the challenges with you, and grow together. You can expect the opportunity to do your best work here and to be counted on.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Manage individual communication with guests regarding their Festival visit and logistics.
- Ensure guests logistical information is input and up-to-date in the Festival database and other shared platforms.
- Manage department budget and resources.
- Supervise and collaborate with guest services coordinators on all necessary work.
- Track & manage the guest services workload daily in project management tool (Asana).
- Liaise with multiple hotel properties and arrange hotel accommodations for guests.
- Arrange ground transportation for Festival guests to/from airports, hotels, screenings, and events.
- Provide updated lists of guest attendance to all necessary Festival staff.
- Work with the box office to fulfill ticket requests for filmmakers.
- Work with Festival programmers to provide an accurate list of festival guests to the operations manager for guest credentials.
- Work with the Festival's Director of Publicity on studio & distributor guest relations.
- Create and deliver all welcome packets for guests.
- Work with Festival programmers to create individual itineraries for welcome packets.
- Attend related events and screenings, as required, to greet guests and facilitate a smooth on-site experience including informing theater staff about seating needs, handling tickets, etc.
- Facilitate filmmaker introductions to Executive Director and Director of Programming.
- Manage workload to end work at a reasonable time each day/night.
- Submit a detailed wrap report before contract end date and participate in post-festival wrap meetings.
Your style of communication is strong, clear, and inviting. You love helping people, so you should enjoy making complicated situations simple and painless. The Festival has a lot of moving parts and can be intimidating for some guests, thus a desired key trait you bring to the role is being able to identify when a guest might be unclear about a matter and proactively offering clarification.
You're adept at working within different technologies to get the work done. Databases, spreadsheets, and project management tools are all keepers of important details for both guests and staff; you're eager to keep this minutiae organized and up-to-date.
You're calm, cool, and collected when managing a lot of tasks & responding to inquiries for information. And you proactively request assistance if/when you need it. You enter communications and situations with kindness and respect for the other parties involved - this is in relation to your working relationships and front-facing guest encounters. You're also an active leader in promoting mutually respectful behavior from anyone associated with CFI or the Mill Valley Film Festival.
CFI is an equal opportunity employer to all. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment. Our policies prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on age, race, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.