CACS Head Start and Early Head Start is hiring a part time, Classroom Assistant. This is a 28 hour a week position, and the rate of pay is $10.29 per hour.
The Classroom Assistants will encourage children's development in a play-based and trauma-informed learning environment. Provide respectful, playful, and age-appropriate interactions with children. Assists the teacher and teacher assistant in meeting the social emotional needs of the children and implementing developmentally appropriate experiences. Provide support to teaching team, families, and bus driver during arrival, transitions, and departure of children. Contributes professional and reflective communication with co-workers and other departments within the agency. Participate in all health and safety activities
Education and/or certification:
- High school diploma, GED or the equivalent with college coursework in child development leading to a CDA preferred.
- Preferred work experience in a childcare or related setting.
- Must be able to engage in effective communication and develop good relationships with staff members, children, and families.
- Assist the teacher in planning and carrying out individualized instruction, for example: guiding physical activities indoors and outdoors; working on self-help skills such as eating and putting on coats; reinforcing learned skills and behaviors with verbal and emotional support; reading and listening to stories; and encouraging relationships with other children as per teacher's direction. Interact with children in an effective manner using positive discipline and/or redirection when necessary.
- Assist the teacher and teacher assistant in assessing children's development, for example: taking anecdotal records.
- Prepare and participate in mealtime.
- Will assist teacher or teacher assistant when staff are absent.
- Attend and participates in scheduled trainings
- Assist in maintaining the classroom in a clean, orderly and safe fashion.
- Active supervision - Physically interact with children in an appropriate and safe manner.
- May provide childcare for parent activities and/or meetings
- Assist bus driver in the boarding and exiting procedures, monthly bus evacuation drills, release procedures, and monitor children's behavior while on the bus.
- Document in writing, contacts/incidents involving children, families, and staff
- Provide developmentally appropriate engagement with children
- Adhere to all mandated reporter requirement
- Be adaptable to working with different teams and in different areas.
Capital Area Community Services is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.