Do you enjoy interacting with community members and organizing for social change?
This job is perfect for anyone looking for part-time work who would be excited to get paid for talking to people about civic engagement and civil rights. Join CAIR-SFBA in our mission to promote justice, enhance the understanding of Islam, and empower American Muslims.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to the Community Organizing & Engagement Manager
Schedule Type: Part-time (Non-exempt). 10-15 hours each week, with frequent evenings and weekends required.
Location: Based in CAIR's Santa Clara office but working in-person across the San Francisco Bay Area is required. Access to a working vehicle and driver's license required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop an understanding of the significance of civil rights and civic engagement
- Manage booths at local mosques and other high traffic areas and events
- Staff phone banking, door knocking, flyering, postering, and other outreach and community and volunteer engagement efforts in different community settings including community centers and mosques, halal restaurants, and ethnic grocery stores
- Support and participate in the organization's community-building programming such as citizenship clinics, youth programs, and various community trainings and workshops
- Represent the organization at partner and coalition meetings and campaign events like rallies, town halls, press conferences, and mosque programs
Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills. All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, and other office tasks.
Some aspects of the work conducted will evolve and develop given current public health precautions. Staff health and safety is our foremost priority.
- Availability to work on Friday afternoons, from 11:00am-3:00pm
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, including compassionate communication and cultural sensitivity, and ability to maintain a positive, personable, outgoing, and enthusiastic attitude
- Demonstrated commitment to civic engagement and community empowerment
- Committed to regular attendance and punctuality as well as timely follow through on administrative duties
- Ability to problem-solve, take initiative, stay organized, manage multiple tasks, and work independently as well as within a team
- Flexibility to adjust and contribute to continually evolving work situations and changing priorities
- Community organizing and leadership experience, including experience working for a nonprofit
- Conversational proficiency in a language other than English, such as Amharic, Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Somali or Urdu
- Pay is $19.03/hour
- Mileage will be reimbursed per I.R.S. standards
Please submit your (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) three references using the link below.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
CAIR-CA is an equal-opportunity employer.